screen size

• Hector
  • Born
  • Born
  • Hector

Post 3+ Months Ago

im new on this of webdesigning, i had to make my on web site because im an artist so i had to promote my self, but i have a problem with the size of my page. Idont know how to make it look the same size no matter what screen is viewed on ?? hope some one can help me because if is too big or too small people wont see my paintigs the way i want.
I have used dreamweaber and fireworks, and ill be greatfull if you can explain me step by step because im not on my field... :wink: if any of you has a good advice ...just shoot!!!
the web page is
http://www.acosta-enrcih.com
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm unable to browse the address you've provided.
  • Y2k88
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Y2k88

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he means:

http://www.acosta-enrich.com/
  • OriginNO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: the Glass City (Hometown: the NO)

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to percentages instead of exact pixel sizes on layers, tables, and images.
  • omirix
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

404 Error, but use the advice OrigNO gave.
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO wrote:
You have to percentages instead of exact pixel sizes on layers, tables, and images.

hm, maybe i'm missing something here, but if he says he wants
Quote:
Idont know how to make it look the same size no matter what screen is viewed on

maybe i'm interpreting it wrong, but it sounds to me like he wants all his images etc. to be of fixed width, no matter the size of the browser.

if that is correct, then percentages wouldn't work, as they'll be shown as a percentage of the browser window....so if you had a real small browser window, the images would be all squashed to fit into the page.

setting fixed pixel widths would make sure that the images remain the same whatever the browser window size is.

maybe Hector could come back and clarify what he means exactly?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you have, for example, and image that is 700x500 pixels and you're desktop resolution is at 800x600, the image will take up nearly the whole screen. But if you raised that to 1600x1200, that image would appear much smaller.

It's important to understand, though, that in reality, the images is not actually smaller. It's sort of like looking down from the top of a building at a car, and then going down and standing next to it, the car didn't change sizes, only your perspective changed.

That said, there are ways to adust your site based on the screen resolution. Actually, it would be more accurate to say, based on the size of the window, since you can't actually detect the destop resolution setting.

Unfortunatly, this is a little complicated. To be honest, I think the site you have looks great. It relies on images too much, and could use some code optimization, but given that you're not a programmer, and don't profess to be, I'll refrain from criticizing you any further on that.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the size. I use 1600x1200, and it looked fine to me. My advice for you would be to design for 1024x768 resolutions, anyone with less than that is on an old system anyway.

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts