Scroll Bars

• cnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • cnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.

I have been designing a database using microsoft access and have built 3 front end user (for website) webpage that will be linked to my main site. These pages will be a reservations page, new customer page, etc...

Anyway I want them to open in a new window, which they do... BUT scroll bars keep on showing up. I can't seem to be able to change this. I have gone into Notepad and in between <HEAD></HEAD> and in body... I have put {overflow:hidden}.

Can anyone help me. My site is perfect other than that, and this project is due in one week. please!!!! :roll: :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

{overflow:hidden} does nothing unless it's tied to a selector like this ----> div{overflow:hidden} or #myContainer{overflow:hidden} or .myClass{overflow:hidden}. In addition, your style definitions would be wrapped in the STYLE tag.

If you're opening the new window with a javascript function, the window.open method has attributes to control the presence of scroll bars.

Can you post a link, or maybe elaborate more?
  • cnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • cnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Cheers buddy, that did work ---> div{overflow:hidden}
Now the window in now opening and is maximised!

Anyway that is ok, but what I want to happen is for the new window(being opened by a hyperlink) to open just beig enough that there are no scroll bars and that all the info is shown, kind of like a pop up but it would be opened by the user clicking on the link from the previous page.

Thanks for your help though,
Kev AIT
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know you didn't ask for this, and it has been rehashed many many times here at Ozzu, but I just wanted to drop this on you, as you might find it useful.

This is the basic version of the script to open a new window using javascript and passing the URL as an argument:

Code: [ Select ]
<script type="text/javascript">
    function openwindow(url)
    {
    window.open(url,"pop","toolbar=no, location=no, directories=no, status=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=yes, resizable=no, copyhistory=yes, width=600, height=450")
    }
    </script>
  1. <script type="text/javascript">
  2.     function openwindow(url)
  3.     {
  4.     window.open(url,"pop","toolbar=no, location=no, directories=no, status=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=yes, resizable=no, copyhistory=yes, width=600, height=450")
  5.     }
  6.     </script>

The above would go into the HEAD section of the HTML page. Then, for the link you would this:

Code: [ Select ]
<a href="javascript:openwindow('YourPage.htm');">

If you look through the first code snippet, I think it's fairly intuitive in regards to how you can modify this. This allows you to open a window with no address bar, no toolbar, no scrollbars, and more.

Always glad to help. :thumbsup:
  • cnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • cnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey.

That sound good, I'm not at home today though. I'm at work so I can't just try it out at the moment, but I'll try when I get home.

The pages that are causeing me the problems have been made in Microsoft Access. So the only way I can edit them is in Notepad. Is it ok to put in script there?

Kev, AIT, IRL
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, if you HTML is structured correctly, any text editor will do.

(They're using Access for data?)
  • cnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • cnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah we are indeed! It is basically a start project to our major one next year, which will use Oracle, but thank god my sister and sister-in-law work there so I can get help of them and their mates!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts