no scrollbar in ie with mac

• mikeshane
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mikeshane

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm developing a new site and in IE 5.2 on the mac the scrollbar doen't work. Please have a look at http://vitessedemo.applify.com

The scrolling for the content frame has been set to "yes" and the scrollbar has been modified through css (for IE)

Thnx in advance for any good advice
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using IE 6 and it works fine. I just checked it out in Netscape 7 and it works fine too. Is IE 5.2 on the Mac the only browser that it does not work correctly for? I believe iframes in IE 5 were relatively new at that time and that might have something to do with the bug, especially if it was on a Macintosh. There might not be anything you can do, but I am not positive.
  • mikeshane
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mikeshane

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site does not use iframes, but anyway, thnx for the reply. Good to know it works fine in IE6 :P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooops sorry bout that. There was so much discussion about iframes today that I think I just got it stuck in my head. Plus the way you did your frames it almost looks like an iframe how it is sitting in the middle of your site like that.

Anyway since you are just using regular frames I would think all of IE 5 would support it fine. Does it have any problems in any other browsers besides IE 5.2 that you know of?

I really dislike frames and I think it would be in your best interest to try and develop sites without them. However if its a must your site looks fine. Frames just cause so many problems from browser issues that you see now, to search engine bots struggling to index all your content. Is there a certain reason you want to use frames? For ease of updates?
  • mikeshane
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mikeshane

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, its a content managed site and the client wanted frames specifically ... with the use of dhtml the need for frames has diminished really, but the client is king, humhum

did u look at it with a mac ?

the *plum* thing with ie is that you can only install one version of it at a machine to test sites ... or are there any workarounds for this ?!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah as far as I know you can only install one version of IE. With Netscape you can install numerous version at once. If you want to install numerous version of IE on your computer you could use something such as:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

which would allow you to install and run multiple operating sytems simultaneously. What you could do with this is install Windows a few times with VNC and install a different version of Windows Explorer each time. Then you could easily access different versions of IE through the same computer without even rebooting. However this is probably not worth all the time and effort, but its an option.

I cannot view your website with a Mac. I only have a PC. Hopefully another forum member can help you out there and let you know if they see the same problems that you see.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts