Scrollbars and CSS compliancy

• xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone,
As I've been working on a project with a friend of mine I have been having some random struggles. See, part of the project is making our site completely CSS compliant and reliant on divs and spans and paragraphs and all the good confusing stuff, rather than the now depricated tables of html and such. Anyway, one of the things I'm trying to do, though it's not a necessity is have the entire site be CSS compliant, because I have never done that, and I think it makes the site look better, not to mention the increased accesibility and all that.
Anywho, one thing that bothers me is that if you put in the colored scroll bars that we all love (we all being internet explorer 5.5 users and up) are not standards compliant. I know that they don't even show up in Netscape/Mozilla, Opera, and all the other big browsers, but why are they not compliant, it doesn't mess anything up or anything, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't even touch accessibility issues.
Anyway, if anyone has a work-around and would like to share that would be awesome. Even an explination would be great. Hell, even if you just have an opinion or rant on the subject, post a reply, I'm interested in what everyone else has to say.
Thank yas
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

the scroll bad code doesn't validate in CSS is that what you're saying?

And tables are in no way depricated.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "colored scroll bars" are a proprietary IE thing. Unless the w3c and other browser manufacturers deem otherwise it is not and probably will not be a compatable standard.
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the validation thing b_.
and tables aren't depricated, you're right, sorry I phrased that wrong.
W3 suggests that tables shouldn't be used for layouts and all that anymore, but you are right, they aren't depricated, because they still have uses, just not for layouts.
Yargh, I'm talking in circles, sorry.

Anywho, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's OK...as soon as one of the mods here realizes it, it'll get moved to the design board.

If you're interested here's a friend of mine's page. He specifically did his sites to the new CSS recommendations. He has two versions. The first link is the older established site and the second is his new domain which is still under refinement.

http://www.dotcomjunkies.com/members/m/ ... ndex.shtml

http://www.stevestechresource.com/forums/str/

I thought you might like the way he handled CSS on his sites.
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO.
That'll be helpful to look at his source and all that.
Thanks for taking the time to post some links for me :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the most interesting thing to note about the above two links I provided is there isn't a table in his source, period. That was what I thought was most impressive.
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing.
Actually if you scroll down pretty far on the second link, you'll notice a table
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct. I missed that, but I think he had to do that because of the bbs script he's using on the new site. I know he planned to change the bbs software this weekend, but it doesn't look like he made the transition yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts