Selecting a Blogging Site

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've actually never setup a Blog site for anyone. Typically, I'm building custom applications so I just throw a new form and db table to handle a quick blog type feature for a few of my customers, but now I think I can use some type of pre-packaged blog system.

My real question is why would I use something like Blogger.com versus Wordpress. Is it just a question of being able to host it? Are there advantages to hosting a blog site?

Thanks for any points for either side. Our current blog has it's own domain name and host and with services like Blogger.com it seems like our site may be overkill.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to register the domain name that matches the sub-domain my blogger blog has been on so I can use the "custom domain" option for a few years now. I just went and did it. :D
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots of it has to do with the ability to host it yourself but I assume for most people its a lot more about the customization ability. I haven't used blogger for a while but wordpress.com vs an installed version is pretty locked down. You can use some themes and plugins but if you really need the site to do some special things (function more like a CMS, video blog, etc) its usually better to run your own install. The down side is that you have to pay for hosting and traffic if you don't used the hosted solution so if you have a lot of traffic its on someone else's network.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Always glad to help, joebert. Anyway, that's got me pointed in the right direction. The answer seemed so easy for this one that it felt like I was overlooking something.
  • bilhasry4you
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bilhasry4you

Post 3+ Months Ago

yah, maybe for some people, the blog that can be customizable is good like blogger, and we can choose the themes. actually in wordpress, it is only customizable in choosing the themes, not modify on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts