Simple CMS for Updating Text and Images?

• ESDesign
  • ESDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres the situation:

I am currently designing a website for a small business. The problem is that the business has constantly changing inventory, and thus they need the website content to be easily updateable.

Specifically the client wants to be able to update pictures and text ON the website easily without having to go through Dreamweaver and FTP etc.

I have researched CMS's a bit and have discovered Joomla, however I don't want the whole site to be pre-programmed. I just want to be able to update specific areas of text and pictures, no forum or any other kind of add-ons.

Is it possible to code your own CMS or perhaps integrate one into a script?

What tools would I need to do this? For instance, would I require MySQL databases? PHP? XML?

Thanks for any help in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you really set your mind to it, you can integrate Joomla into your site or integrate another CMS system into your site...

But if you want to create your own, you would probably need MySQL and Database... XML is optional for more advanced features.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you decide to code your own, you'll most likely need a database of some sort - though it is possible to do it without one - and you'll probably need to know some type of server-side scripting (though I think you probably could write a CMS with client side scripting, it probably wouldn't be very secure, and it would be rather frivolous).

Using PHP as the language and MySQL as the database is pretty common.

However, with all the pre-built content management systems out there, it may not be worth coding your own (unless you really want to).

For what you are doing, I'd recommend giving Textpattern (http://textpattern.com/) a shot - it's lightweight, clean, simple, and easy to work with. On the down side, it hasn't had any major updates in a while (there have been security update, but nothing else), and some consider it a dead project.

Back on the upside, though, it still has a pretty dedicated user base and some die-hard fans. It works well, supports text and picture uploading/changing, and is, again, lightweight and simple - and it doesn't come with any unnecessary add-ons (forums and what not).

Of course, no one CMS fits everyone or every site (no matter how hard some try), so it may not be right for you.

You should definitely check out Open Source CMS (http://www.opensourcecms.com/), a site that let's you test out various content management systems on their server, so you can try out a few and find which one fits you before you install any yourself.

Hope that helps!

As a side note, I really, really dislike Joomla!. In my experience, it's rather difficult to work with, screws up file permissions (it has a bad habit of changing the permissions of it's files so that no one can edit them - including itself and the admin), and produces web pages PACKED with tables (rather than CSS divs).
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't need much you should take a look at http://www.cushycms.com Its pretty low tech but it does make it pretty easy for just about anyone to customize text and images...

Oh its free and hosted so you don't have to install anything.
  • videoediting-direct
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • videoediting-direct
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have a look at Drupal -- http://drupal.org/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts