Simplistic/Minimalistic or Full load website. Opinion.

• drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, I have been debating on what type of website I want for an event coordinating/promoter company. I love the simplistic type feel to a website, one with large open spaces but which are eye-catching and the website still has everything it needs to offer or promote within the design but I also see websites which are more content heavy and yet they make it work.

Some examples would be these websites:
insomniac. com - content heavy
sugarsociety. com - simplistic
godskitchen. com - medium

I want your opinions on what makes a good website in terms of content and style. Do you take the minimal approach to a website or do you try and make it work visually as well as have it content heavy? What would draw you to a website?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

godskitchen takes too long to load at first...

Anyway, I don't think you need a cluttered heavy web site for event coordinating/promoting company, but that's because I'm a bigger fan of a little simplistic approach to a website rather then cluttering up a page with images/videos/music player (godskitchen)... I mean... we have iPods, Zune, MP3 Players, computer of our own with our own music on... youtube even... I often leave a youtube tab open playing my music that I like.

Too much content on one page is just as bad as not enough content on one page. You got to find that medium between too much and not enough.

Think of a newspaper... they put the most urgent, the most interesting news at the front and not as urgent on page 2 then on page 1 and not as urgent as page 2 on page 3 and so on and so forth.

A website's first page would be the home page (obviously) and it would be a form of a landing page. It would contain the most important content on it that would be of utmost interest to the reader. The first page would have a navigation leading to the other pages your site has.

Organization also matters (as you already know) and not only where you put what kind of content but how you present it as well. A lot of the heavy content feel that comes to a site comes from pictures and eye candy rather then the actual content. You can make a content heavy site work good with proper organization and presentation. A list of links to different events that lead to the even description, info, etc. would be an example of a content heavy first page. It's a matter of need and creativity... do you need it? If not, are you creative enough to implement it without making the site look cluttered?
  • drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great information. I am hoping others respond as well for their input.

I like sugar society page, but its made our of word press and though it looks nice, its not professional.

I like GodsKitchen website, at least some elements of it but some I wouldnt incorporate.

A very good question since the world of web coding is changing.... What would be some good languages to look at in terms of making a web page look similar to say GodsKitchen. I know Flash is going out of style per say and HTML5 is coming into play as well as other languages like jquery are more prominent. I thought a few people might be able to help me out of with that as well.

I want to be able to put fliers up, pictures, videos or at least embed them within the website from the youtube page as well as the image linking to tickets or a button to link to the tickets, etc. So, I guess the basic stuff any promoter website would have on it for just starting out and than integrating social media into it like GodsKitchen has.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts