my site doesn't display in Netscape or Mozilla browsers

• Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

my site doesn't display in Netscape or Mozilla browsers at all. i have no idea what to do. can someone help!

Link: http://www.smallsports.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may help others to help you if you were to either add the url to your post or some of the technologies/languages you've used.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added the link to Minne's site, although clicking the WWW under his sig takes you there as well. It's written in PHP. I can't see what the problem is. May be in the PHP script itself.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP is server-side, so no matter what browser you are viewing with, the PHP script will work.

So it is something in the actual code that is outputted.

To be honest I don't know exactly what, but i'm going to take a shot in the dark and say it might have something to do with this
Code: [ Select ]
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!--

var ns6=document.getElementById&&!document.all?1:0

var head="display:''"
var folder=''

function expandit(curobj){
folder=ns6?curobj.nextSibling.nextSibling.style:document.all[curobj.sourceIndex+1].style
if (folder.display=="none")
folder.display=""
else
folder.display="none"
}

//-->
</script>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function FrameBuster(){
if (top !=self)
top.location=self.location;
}
// -->
</script>
  1. <script language="JavaScript1.2">
  2. <!--
  3. var ns6=document.getElementById&&!document.all?1:0
  4. var head="display:''"
  5. var folder=''
  6. function expandit(curobj){
  7. folder=ns6?curobj.nextSibling.nextSibling.style:document.all[curobj.sourceIndex+1].style
  8. if (folder.display=="none")
  9. folder.display=""
  10. else
  11. folder.display="none"
  12. }
  13. //-->
  14. </script>
  15. <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
  16. <!--
  17. function FrameBuster(){
  18. if (top !=self)
  19. top.location=self.location;
  20. }
  21. // -->
  22. </script>
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne

Post 3+ Months Ago

its php nuke and url is smallsports.com

i wanna get it fixed
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Minne,

I think I've figured out what your problem is. I ran HTML Tidy on your code and I got 12 errors and 396 warnings. The warnings are primarily information and point out code that is not really written to standards. I'm guessing that's primarily do to how PHPNuke writes the HTML, and none of them would really affect the page displaying in Netscape. However, most of the 12 errors deal with missing or misplaced elements primarily </table>.

IE is very forgiving about table errors and will usually still go ahead and parse the page correctly. Netscape on the other hand is extremely picky about tables and if they are screwed up in some cases it just won't even display the page. I think that is what is happening with yours.

If you have HTML Tidy try running it on the source code for your page and you'll see what I'm talking about. If not, I'll try to put a list of them together this evening when I get home from work. I'm too busy to do it now. In the meantime try to find them for yourself if you can. You'll learn better that way. Let me know if you find and fix them before I get home tonight and post them.
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne

Post 3+ Months Ago

i added the thing to nuke a while back called the google tap and it makes everything html. if i un did it u think it might work?
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne

Post 3+ Months Ago

i uninstalled google tap and i have been told it still wont work
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanna cry. I speant the last hour typing out all the errors I saw and instructions. And when I went to post it I got an invalid session error and even though I copied the post before I submitted it, clipboard somehow captured it as binary and now I can't paste it back...

Crap Crap Crap -- I can't afford the time to retype everything, but here is primarily what I think is causing it not to display in Netscape.

On line 673 of your source code you have a <body> tag right smack dab in the middle of your document. I finally saw that after about an hour of typing and looking at it, and now I just can't afford the time to redo everything I just lost. (Don't go by the line number. You are going to need to find the HTML page and find it about 2/3 of the way down. Here is the surrounding code to help you find it:

Code: [ Select ]
        <td height="26" background="themes/subSystem/images/cellpic1.gif" bgcolor="#ADADAD">&</td>
       </tr>
      </table></td>
    </tr>
   </table></td>
 </tr>
</table>
</td>
 </tr>
</table>
</td>
</table>
<body>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">
 <tr>
  <td><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">

See it? fourth line from the bottom?
  1.         <td height="26" background="themes/subSystem/images/cellpic1.gif" bgcolor="#ADADAD">&</td>
  2.        </tr>
  3.       </table></td>
  4.     </tr>
  5.    </table></td>
  6.  </tr>
  7. </table>
  8. </td>
  9.  </tr>
  10. </table>
  11. </td>
  12. </table>
  13. <body>
  14. <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">
  15.  <tr>
  16.   <td><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">
  17. See it? fourth line from the bottom?

You have several other pretty serious errors with the page you need to look into. In addition to the HTML errors, you also have a critical error happening which won't display your footer. I just saw that a couple moments ago, and my custom rate for fixing something like that is $95 an hour.

If removing the body tag doesn't do it, you also have several <table> errors that could cause Netscape not to display your page. I'm about 99% sure it's that body tag that's gumming up the works.

Good luck.
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne

Post 3+ Months Ago

iunno what file that would be in so i cant delete that body tag b/c i have no idea what file to edit
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Minne....I have to say this, so forgive me if it sounds a little harsh. If you don't know what file to edit, then you need to take some serious time to research it and understand it. In your index.php file there are going to probably be several "includes". These will include html files that are probably saved as templates. You will probably also find includes for multiple php files as well. I'm not 100% sure. I've never used PHPNuke, but if it works similar to phpBB there are additional included files that are written in html and saved as .tpl files. Your problem file is probably going to be something in one of those. It may be that the entire HTML is incorporated in your index.php file, but I seriously doubt it.

Resign yourself to doing some studying. At this point, there's probably nobody here that will be willing to figure that out for you for free.

After seeing your site and talking to you a bit I believe you can do it. Just dive in and Nike the issue.

Best of luck.
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne

Post 3+ Months Ago

can some one test it? i think i may have fixed it
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i go to the stie all i get is this:
Quote:
Ok. Everything got screwed up so guess what? we are starting over. dont worry. we are re-opening on tuesday and the people who have seen the new site design think its great. so please stay tuned because this will be better and bigger then ever.

---

a <body> tag right in the middle of your document? How the F*** did that get there??? I used to use PHPNuke, it's generated HTML isn't pefect but it normally doesn't have body tags in it.

I have heard great things about webgui (http://plainblack.com/ and click the webgui tab up the top). You might be interested in using it.

edit:just came here again from a link in another poast and notices something. Fixed it now. (I disabled HTML)[/quote]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts