On-Site Search necessary?

• briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am curious how the web gurus here think about the necessity of on-site search feature?

I see a lot of sites don't have a site search option. But, seems to me if you have over 300 pages, you need to have a decent site search.

Thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vt220
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree with you really, it depends in the size and complexity of the site. If the site is clear, small (i.e. less than 10 pages I would say), and easy to navigate through, then I wouldn't bother with a search function. Having said that, it's very easy to put a search function in, so why not?
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think alot of times effort is better spent emphasising one of the major search engines on the site & making sure content can be found by the engine(s).

For example Ozzu used to have an inhouse search untill maybe 2 years ago. When Brian (Bigwebmaster) replaced the inhouse search form with a Google Site Search for Ozzu I remember Ozzus' performance getting better due to the load of searching being taken off of Ozzus' server.
If you take the time to learn to use Googles' advanced search features, it's actually easier to find things than it was with Ozzus' inhouse search.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about Google custom search making a website more searchable but in the end, the custom search rely heavily on how well is your site indexed by Google. If you have well-formed pages with relevant titles and meta description you'll probably better off with Google search.

However, for internal search engine system need a decent algorithm to list the search results according to most accurate and rel events information.

You should asses if there is any need of search engine for your site. If your site will be updated frequently and new pages will be added routinely, you should opt in for search engine. If not, better navigation might do the trick with better categorization, improve the structure of the content, use sub categories and use breadcrumbs so that visitors know their way around.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts