Slicing up an image

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would anyone know how to go about slicing up an image so that it works as a website - Its a bit complicated I know but was told it can be done.
Not sure if its important but here is the pic. http://www.box.net/shared/3lp36ehg7l
Thanks
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using Photoshop, you can use guides to setup and make manual slices.

Photoshop also has tools for automatic slices. In addition to slicing the image, it will create HTML for you, as well. You will need to specify image compression for each slice.

My preference is the manual method. I don't care for the markup it produces using the auto method.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd use straight forward slicing and butting everything together. That tends to be fairly inflexible. However, given the graphic, that might be the only practical method of reproducing the header.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's an example of using guides to determine where the slices would be. I'm looking at this as a series of rows, each being sliced differently to accomodate the menu, search function, logo, etc.

Attachments:
entiplex_slice.jpg
  • ancientmysts
  • ancientmysts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know how much help this would be, but when slicing an image for my nav bar or header, I always used Fireworks. The slice tool on there is pretty nice.

Edit: And I just realized how old this post was. Doh!
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not that I am incredibly proficient at designing websites...but I will tell you that I took a Webdesign 1 class and that is strictly how the prof taught us how to make sites from Photoshop to Dreamweaver.
I wasn't very impressed, if you don't slice it just right you end up with spacers which are a pain. I was hoping for more coding practice like in the HTML prereq for the class but didn't get it. Anyway, Good luck.
  • bilhasry4you
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bilhasry4you

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think using photoshop is more powerfull,
because you can export for your website...
and then you can take a piece of them that you want
  • ancientmysts
  • ancientmysts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop could be better for his situation. I was mostly talking about banners or navigation bars. I like to do mouseover images and personally I found that using Fireworks worked really well for the color and style changes for the mouseover.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like doing image slicing very much, sure it looks good but it takes forever! And if at any point you want to change something like say the nav bar you have to re do it you cant just change the html. Anyway I did it for a client and its all over now few!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts