Speaking of writing to display in netscape....

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having issues with the way my page is displaying in Netscape. I'm using tables to format the page, with the borders set to 0. in IE it comes up transparent, as it should. In netscape, the inner borders are coming up black with a setting of what looks like 1 :evil: . i cannot for the life of me figure out what i've done wrong. anyone have any ideas?

thanks a bunch on advance for any ideas you might have!

Mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might be surprised to discover that Netscape is doing exactly what your code tells it to do, whereas Microsoft IE is not.

Here's where you told it to display a border in your tables:

Code: [ Select ]
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" id="AutoNumber1" height="210" width="745" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-width: 0" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="0">
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, I don't have issues with how any of my pages are displayed in Netscape. Only those using Netscape have the issues ;)

You don't need all the border styles in there, or at least you shouldn't. Simply doing..

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

Should remove any borders or gaps in the table.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
You know, I don't have issues with how any of my pages are displayed in Netscape. Only those using Netscape have the issues ;)

ROTFLMAO!!!

That reminds me of an old joke about Baptists (and I'm alowed to tell jokes about baptists, i am one ;) : How many baptists does it take to change a light bulb?

All of them. One to hold the bulb and the rest to revolve the world around him. :lol:

Sometimes i think Microsoft takes the same approach to the world!

Mark
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
You might be surprised to discover that Netscape is doing exactly what your code tells it to do, whereas Microsoft IE is not.

Here's where you told it to display a border in your tables:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" id="AutoNumber1" height="210" width="745" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-width: 0" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="0">

Wow, that's really bizarre. And a vote for netscape too, i suppose. Any ideas why it would do that? Clearly there was some sort of disconnect between the GUI in frontpage and the actual code being produced, because the border was set to "0" in the drag and drop pane. Good thing to know for the future i suppose.

I guess another reason why it's good to proof read the code when you're working in a WYSIWYG editor *sheepishly begins to re-read other threads about writing one's own code instead of relying on software editors :oops: )

Mark
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm guessing in IE the CSS override the HTML, and vice versa in Netscape.

border="1" taking it on top in Netscape, and style="border-width: 0" in IE.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As best I have been able to tell, the difference is that Netscape won't recognize the TD styles, if the Table style says something different. I don't have a clue why they did it that way. *shrugs. I just know that's the way it is. Believe me...it's caused me more frustration than you can imagine.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why all my sites are "Optimized for whatever browser I happen to be using when I develop them" ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts