SQL Update to Index Page

• JackSweetzer
  • Born
  • Born
  • JackSweetzer
  • Loc: Reading, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, hello all - I've been registered a while but haven't needed to post; now I do, so here goes!

I am thinking of starting a website, and have realised the general trend that:

No content updates = No traffic = Waste of time/money

So, initially, I thought a way to generate content on my site would be to use a forum bot to post RSS feeds to a "News" forum for reading/commenting. However, what I would also like to achieve is that this posted news then be displayed on an updating index.html page.

With me so far? Hmmm.

Anyway, from what I've gathered, I would need to use an SQL update to relate the news posted on the forum to the index page. At present, the RSS forum bot already uses a cron job to update and post the latest feeds to my news forum.

I am now at a loss as to how to achieve what I would like to do - I have a feeling if I wing it, I'll break my database! :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jack
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not completely true, you can use the XML from the RSS reader and populate your index page directly ...

Take this page for example, it gets it's news directly from http://www.iol.co.za/ using only the XML from the RSS feed provided by IOL ...

maybe this link will help: http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_xml_parser_expat.asp ... also look at the two pages after that one ...
  • JackSweetzer
  • Born
  • Born
  • JackSweetzer
  • Loc: Reading, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thanks, I'll take a look. Although I am slightly concerned that coding something like this myself will be slightly out of my depth.. :X

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts