A Standard for Greatly Reducing HTTP Connections

  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Currently the Ozzu server is doing fine, but I was just pointing out where most of the load is coming from. I agree with your point about using different configurations for static vs dynamic content, etc. Eventually down the road if ozzu gets big enough there would likely be server for static content, a server for dynamic content such as scripts, and a SQL server for all the database stuff. For now though all of that is not needed since I try to optimize everything I can and the server is still able to handle the load. I would classify it as a one-size-fits-all at the moment.


Note that you don't have to run separate physical servers for the dynamic vs static content. It's as simple as setting up Lighttpd on the server and having it respond to requests on port 8080 and then linking to your images as "http://ozzu.com:8080/img/logo.png" for example. You don't even have to touch Apache's configuration, which means you can give it a test run with minimal effort or risk.

bigwebmaster wrote:
30000 visitors x 40KB = 1.2 GB per day saved


I feel you there. At one point one of the sites we're responsible for was at the point that every single additional byte was translating into an additional ~25MB of bandwidth for the month because we couldn't use gzip or cache a lot of files. The traffic was insane. Apache would have crippled under the load. Lighttpd let us run with a load average of around 2.5 for a 4 'core' server. We so much as went in and switched HTML entities to their UTF-8 strings where possible to conserve bandwidth, though. It was a nightmare.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
To recycle your metaphor, these sites are using a large pickup truck to go get eggs instead of taking a scooter or a bicycle.


If you've already got the truck and a warehouse (browser cache), wouldn't it make sense to fit that truck to carry eggs in bulk and maybe grab some milk in the process ?

Quote:
You didn't mention multi-part requests or responses. What are your thoughts on a system like that?


You'll have to enlighten me about that. It sounds like something to do with email and I don't do much with email.

Noticed later post while reading.

Quote:
We so much as went in and switched HTML entities to their UTF-8 strings where possible to conserve bandwidth


You'll have to tell us about that some time.
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
We so much as went in and switched HTML entities to their UTF-8 strings where possible to conserve bandwidth


You'll have to tell us about that some time.


Writing out

Code: [ Select ]
»


uses up 5 more bytes than...

Code: [ Select ]
»




In order to save bandwidth we were stripping as much extra weight off of the page as possible.

If you properly encode the page, you can do without many special character entities. You still need to escape things like ampersands with &, but you don't need to do it for every special character.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8411
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

@effim: (Completely off topic)... on your site, under "User-Interface Kung-Foo" you got the following text...
Quote:
That’s about the last email you want to get from a user, because it means that you probably lost more than one possible sale. Lucky for you, creating amazingly efficient and intuitive websites that tranlate into more orders and less wasted time is at the heart of what we do. We firmly believe there is a simple interface for everything.

I'm sure that the bolder word was supposed to be translate

@mods: Sorry to go off topic...



effim wrote:
Writing out
Code: [ Select ]
&roque;

user up 5 more bytes than...
Code: [ Select ]
»

In order to save bandwidth we were stripping as much extra weight off of the page as possible.

If you properly encode the page, you can do without many special character entities. You still need to escape things like ampersands with &, but you don't need to do it for every special character.

Makes sense... you said UTF-8?
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
@effim: (Completely off topic)... on your site, under "User-Interface Kung-Foo" you got the following text...
Quote:
That’s about the last email you want to get from a user, because it means that you probably lost more than one possible sale. Lucky for you, creating amazingly efficient and intuitive websites that tranlate into more orders and less wasted time is at the heart of what we do. We firmly believe there is a simple interface for everything.

I'm sure that the bolder word was supposed to be translate

@mods: Sorry to go off topic...



effim wrote:
Writing out
Code: [ Select ]
&roque;

user up 5 more bytes than...
Code: [ Select ]
»

In order to save bandwidth we were stripping as much extra weight off of the page as possible.

If you properly encode the page, you can do without many special character entities. You still need to escape things like ampersands with &, but you don't need to do it for every special character.

Makes sense... you said UTF-8?


Thanks for the misspelling heads up. There's never enough time to do our own site properly. ;)

I prefer using UTF-8, yes. It's by far the most versatile character encoding for the web.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8411
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

effim wrote:
Thanks for the misspelling heads up. There's never enough time to do our own site properly. ;)

I prefer using UTF-8, yes. It's by far the most versatile character encoding for the web.

:lol: alright.

Since I have never encoded a file to anything... I wouldn't know how to do that... want to share the wealth?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8411
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

That doesn't seem to do that... when I try • I get either � or ? or simply a square...
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 709
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Code: [ Select ]
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

That doesn't seem to do that... when I try • I get either � or ? or simply a square...


be sure to save the source text file on the webserver to utf-8 too, otherwise the • character will be corrupted itself, eg. in notepad use the dropdown titled "save as type" in the save as dialogue
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh ok. I was thinking "Ӓ" instead of "&named;" for some odd reason. I remember seeing someone hell bent against &nbsp; saying it was a conspiracy by the web hosting companies years ago now that you mention that.

effim wrote:
Writing out

Code: [ Select ]
&raquo;


uses up 5 more bytes than...

Code: [ Select ]
»


In order to save bandwidth we were stripping as much extra weight off of the page as possible.

If you properly encode the page, you can do without many special character entities. You still need to escape things like ampersands with &amp;, but you don't need to do it for every special character.
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Ahh ok. I was thinking "Ӓ" instead of "&named;" for some odd reason. I remember seeing someone hell bent against &nbsp; saying it was a conspiracy by the web hosting companies years ago now that you mention that.


LMAO. I suppose if network providers billed by the byte (like I'm sure AT&T would have loved), I could have seen that becoming a pretty significant argument. Of course, in that world, Google wouldn't even be feasible, let alone YouTube.
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Code: [ Select ]
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

That doesn't seem to do that... when I try • I get either � or ? or simply a square...


This isn't really the appropriate place for this discussion. Open up another thread and I'd be happy to help, as would plenty of other folks around here, I'm sure.

Simply put, character encoding allows for us to ensure that regardless of the character set used (like Croatian characters or the Roman alphabet), the proper character displays on the screen. It doesn't change the actual ascii data that is saved in any way, it just sets a flag for whatever software is reading it so that it can properly interpret the ascii characters and display the appropriate symbol/letter/number. Yes, that's simply put. It's a pretty hairy issue. ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8411
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

effim wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Code: [ Select ]
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

That doesn't seem to do that... when I try • I get either � or ? or simply a square...


This isn't really the appropriate place for this discussion. Open up another thread and I'd be happy to help, as would plenty of other folks around here, I'm sure.

Simply put, character encoding allows for us to ensure that regardless of the character set used (like Croatian characters or the Roman alphabet), the proper character displays on the screen. It doesn't change the actual ascii data that is saved in any way, it just sets a flag for whatever software is reading it so that it can properly interpret the ascii characters and display the appropriate symbol/letter/number. Yes, that's simply put. It's a pretty hairy issue. ;)

Did :D

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.