Standard Website Dimensions?

• gumbos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone please tell me what dimensions a website should be?
So my front page fits the browser perfectly, I dont want my clientell to have to scroll. Thanks for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose it depends on you what size your site actualy ends up. Me personally, I tend to make the width no more than 760 px. That way it fits nicely on either an 800x600 or bigger screen resolution. You can center it and it still looks good. Thats pretty much the basic size for all of my sites.

If you are looking for height as well, say for instance you are making an entrance/splash page, I usually keep it at about 400px. It still fits neatly in the window of an 800x600 broser window.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dimensions? I imagine most pages would have two: height and width. :)

But seriously, why in the world would you set a fixed width to your site? It is much more user-friendly to have a flexible layout that adapts its width to the width of the browser. This is easier to do than fixing the width of the page.

For instance, suppose you have a fixed layout of 760 pixels. Now suppose I want to tile two windows to half the width of my screen. (I certainly wouldn't have them maximized.) Then your site would have a horizontal scroll bar.

Even given certain information about a resolution, you don't know anything about the window size, and sidebars might be open. It certainly isn't safe to assume a window will be maximized. Maximized windows are a waste of a windowing system, after all.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that just kind of shuts me up doesn't it? :P

LOL most of my websites a very graphic intensive, so I have to scale the images to fit. Plus I like the way 760 look on most screens. So to each their own, the best way is the way Sam explains it, the site fits the screen. But again, to each their own.
  • criserb
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

In general your web pages must be for the majority of internet users. As you can see here http://www.blogpatrol.com/stats.php?i=4321&ex1=yes&ex2=yes&ex3= the most used resolution is 1024x768 but in the 2nd place and 3rd place is 1280x1024 and 800x600. I think that when you make a design it must be viewable for this resolution in specially.

But for making all these I think you shouldn’t make site in fixed sizes. You can use % and you’ll see that is not very hard to use them.

Cristi
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design your page no larger than 768 pixels wide (or round down to 765). HOWEVER if you have side adverts after the 768 you can design them any size so if you have to scroll horizontally for an advert 1000 pixels wide so what? Take a look at http://www.channel4.com to see what I am getting at.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SharkShark wrote:
Well that just kind of shuts me up doesn't it? :P

Heh. Not really -- 760 is a good number if the size is going to be fixed. (And sometimes things are much easier that way :) )

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts