Sticky Footer

• earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All, I'm at the end of my tether with the following problem, hoping somebody could help me out!

I'm trying to implement a 'sticky footer' on my website, www[.]blobble[.]co[.]uk, as on larger resolutions the footer on pages with minimal content is appearing half way up the page. I've searched google, and have an understanding of how they should work, I've even made a basic site in html with the coding supplied and have got it to work, but I can't for the life of me implement it in my existing wordpress theme, with seperate files for the header, footer and content.

Would somebody please be able to take a look and advise the best way to proceed? It's difficult to know which PHP template files will need editing, although I can supply the code for whatever is needed, or supply login details should anybody want to get 'stuck in there!'

Look forward to hearing from anyone who may have a spare 10 minutes!

Thanks for you help,
Mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

What browser are you using? I just looked in both IE and FF and everything appears fine to me. I also have a high resolution monitor at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Maybe you already fixed it? I was going to suggest that you put a clearing div right before the footer as that usually fixes problems such as this. Of course if the content above it isn't enough though it may not be all the way on the bottom of the browser. Something else you can do is put in a min-height style attribute to your content area to at least take up a certain height, or more things on your right menu (to push it down).
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write back. Unfortunately, I haven't fixed it as yet, and it appears to be doing the same problem - not sure why it appears correctly on your browser, I'm using Safari but testing it in IE8 and FF3.

I think the best way to describe it is that when the browser window is resized, when there is little content on the page, the footer sits half way up the page, with the background image continuing beyond it.

I have a limited knowledge of the fixes you suggested, but am struggling to implement it into my existing wordpress theme. (If only I used basic HTML!) Do you think the best way to proceed would be to hire an expert?

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I am sure you can do it on your own, but if you are not familiar with editing the templates in the Wordpress template system and don't want to take the time to learn how to do it, then your best bet might be to hire someone.

I think an easy fix for you would be to just add more content to your right menu, enough that it will at least fill up the browser's page so that if your main content area is small you will still at least have the footer pushed to the bottom.

The harder solution for you would probably be editing the CSS file and setting the min-heights to the content area.
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help.

Would anybody on Ozzu be interested in progressing my problem further? It would probably involve me issuing a set of login details and getting stuck into CSS code! Please contact me via my website or post a response on this forum, and we can discuss rates.

Look forward to hearing for somebody!

Many thanks,
Mark
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may want to post this job request here:

job-opportunities/

and then reference this topic. I will also send you a PM.
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

Have finally managed to fix the problem myself... very annoying!

If anyone has time to check my website www[.]blobble[.]co[.]uk on a large resolution, to make sure the footer is at the bottom of the page, that'd be mega appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using the newest version of firefox and the footer looks good. I was under the impression that you wanted the footer to be fixed at the bottom of the screen while the rest of the content scrolls. Guess I misunderstood.

Good work!
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your time natas!
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, its half there at least... appeared to be working fine in everything other than IE! I've fixed it so its currently displaying as it was in IE, and is properly sticky in everything else!!
  • bilhasry4you
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bilhasry4you

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about in css file, about the position of the footer, have u take alook?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts