Subdomain on Rogers Web hosting

• wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My website is hosted with Rogers.I tried to add a subdomain but rogers does not seem to have anything in their so called cPanel (WebOS).

I scoured the internet trying to use htaccess to redirect for subdomain. Everything I tried did not work.

I contacted rogers and the guy who answered the phone said he did not know what a subdomain was which was very strange to me. He did say rogers does not supply this.

Most other hosting companies give you this option on cPanel which is very easy to use.I regret ever going to rogers but I am kinda stuck and cannot switch web hosting provider at this time.

Can someone give some suggestions on how I could add a subdomain.

Thanks

Joe
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you able to at least add your subdomain to their DNS system? If you cannot do that then there is nothing you will be able to do. The first thing that happens when you goto:

subdomain.yoursite.com

is a DNS lookup takes place to see what IP address that domain resides at. If the subdomain does not exist it will stop there.

That is a little strange Rogers won't work with you there. You are right in the fact that 99% of webhosts out there, including Ozzu, allow their customers to have subdomains.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply

This is what I did.

In my root directory I created a folder "subdomain".
In this folder I added an index.php file.

I then used the link http://subdomain.mysite.com

Got error message Could not display web page.

Have I done things correctly or should I also be doing something else

Thanks
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has been a while since I have done this but usually in cPanel there is a create subdomain link that will allow you to link http://subdomain.mysite.com to your directory at http://mysite.com/subdomain. I think this creates the necessary DNS entries and all that nifty stuff. If you have no way of doing that then I don't think you are going to go anywhere. From what I can see on their website, they do not mention subdomains as being an option.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply

As I had stated they do not have a subdomain option in their Cpanel(WebOS.

I guess then as they say I am SOL
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch is right in the fact that when you create a subdomain via CPanel, the system automatically creates the necessary DNS entries so that you can resolve that subdomain address into and IP. Since you are unable to add a sub domain via the CPanel interface, your only hope to find a way to get the subdomain to work is if you can get your host to at least setup an "A record" for your subdomain in their DNS servers. If they will not do that for you then unfortunately you will not be able to have a subdomain that works unless you use an alternate DNS system besides your webhosts.

Your best bet would be to move to a new webhost when you can, and make sure whoever you choose allows you to have subdomains.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys for your input

I will definitely ensure this when I go to new host

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts