Submit Button That.

• Brian Jester
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brian Jester
  • Loc: Bayonne, New Jersey USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way to make a submit button from a basic html form export the results (of the submitted form) to a formatted text file? Reason for this is that I am creating a fax / mail order form that I want to put on a cd-rom catalog. I want the person to be able to export their order form details to a formatted text file, basically the way the original order form looks w/ out the form buttons, and have that save to their hard drive so they can either print it or email that file to me.

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two ways to do this.

1) Would work for Internet Explorer only. Use an active-x control & javascript, or vbscript, to write the contents of the form to an html file, or to convert to another format & save to that format.

2) Would work in pretty much any browser. Rig the PHP/ASP/JSP or whatever is processing the form to accept a get/post variable which will cause it to send a Content-Disposition header, among a few other headers for filesize/etc before it outputs anything.
  • Brian Jester
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brian Jester
  • Loc: Bayonne, New Jersey USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi joebert,

I would appreciate if you could pass along a working bit of code for this. I don't want to use any server side scripting because it will be used for a cd-rom catalog. So option 2 would have to be eliminated. But for option 1 would that be possible to make it so it could work in IE, and mozilla firefox? I appreciate you time in advance.

Thanks again!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can rule out pretty much everything other than Internet Explorer if it's running from CD.

Sorry, no code.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the best bet would be to create a pdf form and it will do exactly what you are asking. We created certificates in my Multi Media class for some high school competition. We created the form over the certificate design and all you had to do was fill out the form and print the certificate.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts