swapping images on mouseover on an image map

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I have a table of 1 row and 2 columns, the left cell contains a single image displaying about 10 thumbnails (pic 1). with an image map over each thumbnail. The cell to the right shows an enlargement of the first thumbnail.

I want, on mouseover on any thumbnail on pic 1, to have the image on the right column show an enlargement of that particular thumbnail. I have done this using behaviours (I use Dreamweaver) in the past, mouseover one image changing another, but never with image maps on only parts of a pic providing the mouseover areas.

Can I do this or do I have to place each thumbnail as an individual pic, not as part of a large one with image maps?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can be done, although I doubt that the standard image map can do this.
I used to use a script to perform the usual onMouseOver, but the script also loaded a third image onto the page, I'd used it as an electronic photo album.

I'll see if I can locate the original script, along with the author's details.

In the mean time, perhaps this will give you some idea of what i refer to.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/dualflip.html

Cheers...

C.C.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I decided to use individual thumbnails, as I knew how to get those to swap other images on mouseover, whereas I didn't know how to do it using them grouped into one image with image maps on it.

As the thumbnails were all rectangular and didn't need fancy shaped image maps over them, there was no great need to do it the image map way, it just gave me more control over the positioning of the thumbnails if I did them all grouped into one image, rather than individual images in cells.

I'd still like to know if it can be done with image maps, for future reference, but for the site I'm working on, I worked round that.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive seen an example of this at this page:

http://www.billandjanna.com/everyday.html

it's not on mouseover, but on mouse click, but i don't imagine it could be too hard to do. it's a javascript written by the person who owns that page, so you'd have to ask their permission to use it (they gave me permission, but they're friends of my sister-in-law.)

mark

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts