Template for .HTML..

• roulettered56
  • roulettered56

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi webmasters,

This is my first post to Ozzu and alas it's a question :)

I want to create content sites with lots of pages and hate updating each page separately. so far I've been using SSI to call my optin forms/header image and ads etc. Is there an easier way like using a main template that ALL pages use, or will I have to then convert to PHP which my knowledge in is zero?

The pages are .html extensions and I want to keep them that way if possible. I fear the only way around this is SSI.

Any suggestions please?

Louis
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i understand exaclty what you are asking, there might be a way with php i use to make a master template for the whole website, but it also implies css if you have any knologe about it. If you want me to help you just add me on yahoo mess: the_art_of_imagination
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What HTTP server are you using ?
  • roulettered56
  • roulettered56

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi thanks for the replies.

I'm using a Linux server with Mod rewrite enabled.

I understand the dynamics of css, can my HTML pages call upon a CSS for more than just style, ie.. custom HTML code etc?

Making a template isn't the problem, making all the pages use it IS :)

Louis
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mod_rewrite enabled on Linux eh ?
I'm assuming it's an Apache HTTP server in that case.

Is this a dedicated, or VPS server where you can alter your <virtualhost> container for the website in question ?
  • roulettered56
  • roulettered56

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, Operating system Linux. Apache version 1.3.41 (Unix).

I'm on a reseller account and doubt I can alter <virtualhost> which I'm, assuming needed to be.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was going to suggest Apaches ExtFilterDefine and AddOutputFilter directives where you could use the cat command to prepend/append a template around content sections.

That way you'ld only need to modify for instance HEADER.xml and FOOTER.xml and static pages could just contain their page-specific content. When a request was made for say "page.html", the output filter would wrap the contents of that HTML file inbetween the contents of HEADER and FOOTER.

But, ExtFilterDefine is limited to the server config context. I'm pretty sure it's going to be of no use to you.

I'm not aware of any sort of autoappend/prepend directives for Apache that aren't related to mod_autoindex or mod_php.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts