Text size ?

• AMP Media
  • AMP Media
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone tell me how I should set the size of the text whilst creating HTML pages so that they are viewable to anyone that uses VIEW>TEXT SIZE>LARGE, LARGER etc etc ?

Basically it is something i never took into consideration or even noticed until I showed a friend a new project I am working on and the whole page was scrambled because he views 'LARGE' http://www.ronjudge.com (example)

Any tips/guidance greatly appreciated :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, got a question. When someone changes the size of text using their browser are you wanting it to actually change like its intended to ? or are you trying to find a way around it so that when they change the text to a larger size it actually does not, which might protect your design from looking funny? I am pretty sure what you want to do is find a way around it, just want to make sure. I do know how you can do it.
  • AMP Media
  • AMP Media

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,

Basically I want it a fixed size so that it does'nt scrabmlble page and knock images out of place etc.........
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay there are two ways then, one is you could redesign your site and test all the cases so that things always look right, another way is to use CSS to allow you to keep the size the same. I know this can be done, I am trying to find the answer right now, as I seem to have lost it haha. Give me a few here.
  • AMP Media
  • AMP Media

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, hanging in there...Great site by the way! Did you pull the page down in question? I am unfamiliar with CSS. Thing is I have 15 sites out there and never have I taken this into consideration. Hope I don't get to many unimpressed clients out of it!! So far everyone has been happy with the work produced :?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay found the answer. Go here and you can see a small example. Change the size in your browser and you will see it does not change:

http://www.ozzu.com/examples/css-fixed-font.html

View the source. What I did was create a style using CSS at the top in the head section and called it fixedFontText. Then later in your html you can use the span tag and set the class of that span tag to fixedFontText and no matter what you do the size will always stay the same because of it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup I looked at your page in question. This fix will apply there as well and stop your problem.
  • AMP Media
  • AMP Media

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, checked the source on the examplke page.... Could you give me some instructions on how to and where to insert the code. I tried grabbing the code between the head tags and inserting in the head tags :? obviously that did'nt work :cry:

Thanks
  • AMP Media
  • AMP Media

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think I've sussed it....
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

sussed? does that mean you figured it out haha? Yeah after you add the stuff in the head tag you also need to add a span tag around the text that you actually want to keep to a fixed size and make it have a class that you list in that header section. So for example

Code: [ Select ]
<span class="yourSpecialClass">Your text that shows up on your page here</span>

The class matches the name of the class that you have in the head section between the style tags
  • AMP Media
  • AMP Media

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sussed? What we call 'SLANG' for worked it out!! Sorry, just a cockney London boy talking....Thanks for the help :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought it meant something like that haha, glad you got it working out :grab:
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

remember, every browser default text size is what you want your design to be based on, also try using CSS, that will keep the page from shifting with different text size, goodluck ;)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

littlephoenix wrote:
remember, every browser default text size is what you want your design to be based on, also try using CSS, that will keep the page from shifting with different text size, goodluck ;)

Talk about resurrecting an old post! :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts