The Customer is always right

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao

I can't count the number of sites I've done for clients that I personally think are ugly as sin, and look like they've been done by a 6 year old...

Well, the customer's always right I guess... It just annoys the hell out of me when I spend a few days or more getting a real nice template together, nice n' classy looking, good-for-Google, eye-pleasing for their potential customers. Then they come along...

"So, can we have the background black? And yeah, that heading, make it blue, bold, underlined and italic, n' make it BIG, REAL BIG like 10ft tall, and I want this really bad polaroid of me on the 'About' page" ;)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

AHAHAHAAA omg sounds like one of mine i did! i hated it but he loves it! lol
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ROFL.

Breathe deep and repeat to self:
"The client is always right. The client is always right. The client is always right. The client is always right."
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

"The client always has money. The client always has money. The client always has money. The client always has money. "

;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on a project for a unamed state agency. We're redoing their whole management system. Today, I get a note from the technical writer, whose decided she's in charge of layout and development, that says: "The navigation on the left is too wide, it's needs to be about 1.5 inches. Could you add a scroll bar there too?"

I'd repeat the mantra to myself, but she's the technical writer, not too bright, and can otherwise take a flying leap.

:lol:

//Sorry about the hijack ATNO
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, when they start giving me instructions like this now, I just ask them if they want to do the site, or if they want a professionally designed website that their users will appreciate and be able to easy to navigate. :)

You have to remind them, you're not designing the site for THEM, you're designing it for THEIR customers/clients! :)

In a store situation, it doesn't matter how ugly or pretty I personally think the site is, or how ugly or pretty my client thinks the site is, you have to cater to the people who are actually going to be using the site. Certain things about a store demand you don't go over the top (although this could depend on what you're selling) and stick to some of the "classic" layout & colour schemes or have certain links in just the right place, simply because it's what customers are used to or expect. Obviously you'd modify it to look very personal to the company ideally, but there are still some very basic things that you really need to follow for it to actually work in the eyes of the customers - the people that keep my clients in business. If they come to a store, and can't navigate it, or there's a 5 second fade between one page and another, or stupid noises, they're not going to sell a thing, because that user isn't going to hit a 3rd page.

And that's what I explain to my clients. Then usually they go away and let me do what I'm paid to do :)

After all, at the end of the day, we're not working to convert their vision into HTML, we're working to make them more money.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

very well put lol
im not in that situation yet...
im still a novice lol..

gotta touch up my skills yet :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with Axe above -- The customer is right (as per dM) -- but if it sucks, I'll pound them quite a bit that this is not in the best interest of their viewers.

I think my favorite is from one site I designed where I warned the customer that this was not going to look so good in older Netscape versions. He told me if they can't be current with their web browsers, then that's not the type of people we want anyway -- so I wrote the site -- *lol

OK -- now we're way off topic, aren't we? *lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I think this falls more into web design, and um... social engineering maybe? ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I was done with this post a couple days ago, but I think the added comments adds to what we are about. I'll think about splitting out the extranious topics into a relevent thread. Not tonight though -- I'm hitting the sack soon.
//edit -- did it anyway.
//end edit
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, Good job ATNO :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the past three or four years, an enlarged Dilbert cartoon has adorned my office wall: "We need a new web site! It has to be webbish... but, not too webbish." LOL
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao!! Do you have a URL to that online anywhere?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts