The Dread Flash Problem

• brittagyrl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ogden, Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi There,

My name is Britt and I just joined this site. I am a novice Web Designer/Coder and I am having a bit of a problem with Flash. I have a Flash movie embedded in my page and an HTML tab Menu. Unfortunately, the Tab menu keeps going behind the Flash. I have tried everything I can think of from making sure I save the swf in Windows Transparent, to putting an embed wmode="transparent" in the object to no avail.

It works just fine on a Mac. Everything goes where it is supposed to in both Safari and Firefox on my Mac. However, when we look at it in IE and Firefox on a PC, it keeps going behind.

Here the URL:

http://library.weber.edu/newWeb/

Does anyone have any helpful hints, suggestions, advice? I'm at my wits end here.

Sincerely,

Britta
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks to me like the flash is doing exactly what its supposed to. You've set the z-index on the flash to 3 but haven't set the z-index on the menus (default to 0). Set a high z-index (higher numbers closer to the top) on the menu panel <ul> and that should fix the problem.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had this same issue, here's what I did ... Note the bold areas.
Code: [ Select ]
<object width='227' height='170'><param name='movie' value='flash/227_170.swf'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'><embed wmode='transparent' src='flash/227_170.swf' width='227px' height='170px'></embed></object>
  • brittagyrl
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, I tried both of your suggestions with no results. I think part of the problem is that my boss coded half of this page and I coded the other half and I'm not really sure what he did with the HTML Menu.

I will keep trying, but I appreciate all of your suggestions.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

you also know that to set the z-index the position must be set to either relative or absolute right ... ?
  • brittagyrl
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoops, yeah I tried that too. Still nothing. Pooh!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts