"This Page Is Best Displayed With" - Opinion

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was curious what people thought of having a link on a business website stating basically "This Page Is Best Displayed With _______________" and dress is up nicely with a link and image or so.

I am debating if I should add it to my site ... I think it could make my life easier and potentially encourage people to upgrade to IE7 or FF (as it is the most popular statistically I have noticed)

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I think it's unprofessional. A good design and build will display correctly for the target audience. I put this in the same category with javascript hit counters. :)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I nixed the counter, was more for SEO and making sure I was getting hits :)

I agree it is unprofessional but the largest site that I will be face lifting later one has about a 40-something% of users using IE6 ...

It has not been added yet just was tossing the idea around in my head and it is heading towards the shreader up there slowly but surely.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's generally considered bad practice to do that. It tends to annoy users and clients.

I find that my clients don't really care to hear about why I can make something work in one browser but not another, so I tend to just do the best I can in IE6 and make sacrifices wherever necessary and console myself with the fact that someday enough people will have upgraded to not worry about it anymore..... :roll:

Of course, you could make a little money on the side with this if you were so inclined and get paid adsense cash for getting people to upgrade to Firefox (http://www.askapache.com/wordpress/firefox-adsense-plugin.html)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is how I am leaning on the idea... aim for building for IE6 ... and one day when it becomes archaic for the customers that visit our site ... then use the new things I am unable to present day and all future updates *sigh*

For my own site that would be great .... but as it stands ... we have no ads on our site and the president is not likely to want any ... but what is the worst that can happen a "no"?

This was one of those dumb ideas that I knew would not go over well, but IE6 holds such a large market base.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I absolutely hate it when pages tell me I should be viewing in a certain resolution. I realise pages will always look a little different to me because I have a very weird resolution as it is. I try my best to design for both weird resolutions and normal ones, I don't know why everyone else can not.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A note in the page footer saying that the site works better in a certian browser wouldn't be too bad (i.e., a "This is looks best in IceWeasel" notice by the "Unmelted Enterprises 1998-2006" area on Ozzu), as long is it isn't too prominent (esp. do not use a splash screen or Yahoo!'s god-awful "info-bar" style update messages).
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat,

I am doing fine for FF, IE7 ( I presume ) testing tommorow, and getting Opera on tommorow, and Lynx.

I am just torn as to the amount of work just to accomodate IE6 to make it look right, do the best I can and sacrifice all I could learn on this site, and do it at home for the more stylish CSS, or the "looks best in". I wanted to toss it out there and I recieved the same feed back i was thinking as not to do it in the first place.

I have a drive to learn more advanced code but due to 40% or so of the sites users.

I am just going to sacrifice some things until I can force them to work without hacks, to accommodate for the archaic IE6.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts