thoughts on which cms for me to use

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

i haven't created a site using any CMS tool before, but i'm quite interested in learning one... i've worked with creating static html/css sites and a little bit of php, but creating from scratch like this (and maintaining) can be time consuming!

i'm going to start working on a tag/touch rugby site... the main goal for the site is to display information about game schedules, game results, and other related upcoming sports events

the site will enable organizers to update game schedules and news (Which will most probably be in the front page)

there is also a likely chance that an extension will be added for an online Community Discussion Board (Forum)

at the moment i'm looking at Wordpress (Which i think is the easiest to learn - and can have some powerfull features/plugins without overdoing things)

can some one make some recommendation on suggestion on this? thanks in advance...

anyways, i've created a simple layout for a start http://www.centraltag.co.nz
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

<-- Wordpress pusher. Yeah wordpress, yeah you can get it here, Its free. The first ones always free. Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I will say that WP kind of has a size limit though. Its not like larger CMS's that have a way categorize/organize content/pages. Just keep that in mind.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, i also find wordpress ideal because most (if not all of the updating) will be done by the organizers of the sports competition the site is for... so i'll be pretty much build or theme the site (with Wordpress) and hand it to them to fill it up with data, and ofcourse introduce them to the platform and it's updating features

looking at wordpress back-end i think wordpress is much more simple compared to Joomla or Drupal...
  • buzzby_247
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • buzzby_247

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i think a cms is down to personal taste. it totally depends on what you are aiming for. joomla and drupal seem to have the samey kind of layouts with regards to templates. i think you can add phpnuke to that list also. if you are looking for pre built templates that you can use then fine, those are ok. i hate using templates. i would rather come up with my own designs, slice them in photoshop then code in css with a good php cms as background. i use CMSMS (cmsmadesimple.org). they have themes as well if you like. personally you cant beat the self built touch. its also easier to validate things you have built.

anyway, hope you find what you are looking for
  • Cabrella

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually i would say Joomla and then wordpress and then drupal.

However, in your particular case, with the information that you wish to present to your visitors i would actually recommend going with Vbulletin and then adding one of the many VB CMS front-ends onto it.
The reason being there is some great modules/widgets with VB that will help your site interact with your vistors.
  • usmanz
  • Born
  • Born
  • usmanz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest using Drupal. I was also confused about which CMS to use, but now I'm hooked to Drupal and I can't even understand any other CMS.
The themes available for Drupal are not very attractive, but it is easy to customize Drupal themes once you understand how they work.
I have changed themes of Drupal sites even though I'm not a designer and I have created complete dynamic websites without any knowledge of coding.
  • jamesmary009
  • jamesmary009
  • Loc: United kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey use wordpress..WordPress is best known as blogging software, but it has amazing potential as a full-fledged content management system (CMS). For affiliate marketers, it means increased productivity and less site maintenance over time.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ones worth looking at:

MODx (very powerful)
SilverStripe
Expression Engine
  • extomas
  • Loc: Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

YEs wordpress is best decission.
Otherwise you can try CMS Made Simple, there you can do you web design very easy

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts