Thumb to Big Pic on same page?

• the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all! Hope someone can help...

I want to create a menu/web page based on Ulead's thumbnail slider menu sample '3D Adventure' :
http://www.ulead.com/ma/samples.htm

I have Ulead's Menu Applet but I don't see images/pictures/thumbnails/jpg's etc mentioned in the help files so I don't know where to start.
I've checked out the Ulead tutorial (as suggested in another forum) but still can't figure out where to place my tiny thumb pics - or big pics! It looks so simple but I just can't seem to get moving at all!

Failing the Ulead option, can anyone help me achieve this result using some other method? (Keep it simple though - I'm learning, but not stupid!)
I'm determined to do this: it's exactly what I want for my web site!

Any ideas folks?
Please help and many thanks!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This can be achieved with DHTML, or Flash, equally I think. My preference would be Flash.

I have personally never used it, but Swish would be considered a low cost replacement for Flash, which is relatively expensive.

If you're not familiar with these, they will take some time to learn.

I'm not sure how others here feel, but I would personally discourage you from using ANY java applets on a web site. They tend to be sluggish, and take extra time to load and therefore slow down the browsing process.
  • oblongintellect
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • oblongintellect

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used the swap image (onClick) action in dreamweaver. It was relatively easy to accomplish.
  • the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm - that sounds interesting. I thought Dreamweaver was a bit complicated so I've been sticking with my old FP. I may have to look into DW now.
Thanks.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a real novice at creating websites but find the swap image in Dreamweaver's behaviours incredibly easy to use. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks cerio.
I know it sounds crazy but I've had Dreamweaver 4 for a few months now but as I said previously I'm a bit 'scared' of it - there's a helluva lot to it compared to FrontPage 2k, which although basic, is my 'safe' option for now!
I really want to get into DW - you guys are not the only ones to recommend it but I cant even figure out the initial site structure yet! which would be a good start!:oops:
So it's FP for now - very frustrating!
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
when you do get a chance to try Dreamweaver, go to help and run through the turorials, they are soooooo easy to follow and quick to get through. Once you've done that you'll find lots more in the Help section when you want to know more and this forum has been a huge help to me. Dreamweaver's help is excellent. I really haven't a clue what I'm doing when building sites yet I manage to get them done using DW. I use Dreamweaver MX but, as I recall, version 4 is much the same.

I really ought to look at FrontPage too. Don't be daunted by DW, it's a breeze and you only need to learn very little to get started. It does so much for you and you can decide if you want to tweek the code by hand or just let it do all the work. It's almost idiot proof... it must be, I can use it.
  • the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're really convincing me cerio...
I had a 'bash' at it today actually and managed to progress a wee bit further than before and I felt quite positive!
If it's idiot-proof then I'm gonna have to conquer it or it won't do my streetcred much good will it :lol:
Seriuosly though - you are right. I've just got to grab the bull by the horns as they say - and not be so 'scared' of it!
I will win in the end!

I think part of the problem is that I really want to get my site up-and-running again. That's why I'm using FP - I'm familiar with it.
However, this WILL change in the near future. When my site is up I'll really get into DW I promise! It cost me too much not to!
  • the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought I'd mentioned this but seems not!
My site - or the index page at least - is at:

http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I hope to introduce new pages over the next week - please bear with me!
  • the_atom
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

(I meant to say - click on 'Coming Soon'. I only have one test page on view right now but that should change now that I've solved my probs)
Many thanks to you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts