track websites in other windows

• gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

if a user has multiple Internet Explorers opened and one of them is your site, is there a way that you can track (by putting a code in your site) the other websites that are opened in the other IE?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could do it with a windows API call from an ActiveX object browsing through the titles of all open applications, however I wouldn't recommend it for a regular website (although it could be useful for an intranet).

With Javascript, you could check out the parent window, but you wouldn't be able to detect if the client has two different instances of IE open...

In short I would answer "no" and look for another solution.
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

so, is there a company (like companies that tracks counters) that provides service that tracks the other windows opened?
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the most famously known is. . . .

GAIN.

they are a damn spy-ware network that installs their own programs when you download something like, KAZAA, and everytime you go on the internet, it tracks what you type, what web addresses you go to etc. . . .

If you read through thier disclaimer, they claim,

Quote:
the world's largest in-context behavioral advertising network.

also as proof of their tracking your identity, and credit card info:

Quote:
because through GAIN, advertisers can reach consumers across the Web, at exactly the right time in their buying cycle.

so. . . .You can do it, but you are going to have to install a driver/program/ or some other client driven software to send your server for the info.

As far as just using a web site to browse through someone elses windows open, I don't know.

STAY AWAY FROM GAIN. . . .
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

gba_m wrote:
if a user has multiple Internet Explorers opened and one of them is your site, is there a way that you can track (by putting a code in your site) the other websites that are opened in the other IE?

Personally, I think that any company or web site that performed such invasive activities without a web surfer's permission, should be shut down. I see litle or no difference between the activity you ask about, and installing a keylogger without the computer owner's permission.

I tend to favor reinforcing the web community's right to privacy, not continually hacking away it it as some corporations do.

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

gba_m -- I took your question innocently enough and didn't give it quite the thought the the others here have. After reading their post, I'd like to see what you were trying to accomplish -i.e. your purpose for asking before I make the decision to lock this post. Of course one of the other mods may just lock it anyway.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts