transparent background not working?

• lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created my page using notepad on my computer and it worked perfectly, I had no problems.

I upload it and all of a sudden the transparent background isn't working?

I don't even understand how it can work before and not now.

here is the page:
http://www.geocities.com/lilstorm_love/havenlove.html

Its obviously not done yet i just wanted to upload it to show someone.

The code I am using to make it transparent is in an external style sheet:

Code: [ Select ]
background-image: none transparent;

and then also in the iframe tag:

allowtransparency="true"

Any help would be much appreciated ;) Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you refering to your iFrame?

Not sure exactly where your problem is or what you are trying to fix.

Here's a screen capture of what I am seeing on my notebook:
http://www.boastingrights.com/ozzu/transparent.jpg
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes sorry my iframe is supposed to have a transparent background and it is showing as white instead.

It should look like this:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v609/taro ... Image4.jpg

and wow that looks like hell with your screen size lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I thought you may be refering to. I don't know. Possibly it's the fact that the iFrame code is hosted at Geocities (Man I would definitely change that -- that advertising they force in there really makes that part look like crap.)

Unfortunately, I've done very little with iFrames, but there are many here who have so, hopefully you'll get some good advice here shortly.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

A thought just went through my mind when I saw you said external style sheet. If that style sheet is referenced by the main page, it will not apply to the iFrame. The transparency has to be included in the iframe page's code as well. (I think) Like I said, I haven't played with those much, but I thought there is a possibility that your iFrame page isn't finding the style sheet it needs because it's improperly referenced. (or not uploaded to the correct directory) Nice looking page, btw.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yay! yep that works I just had to put it on the exact page. Thank you so so much!! Its always something simple lol

yeah yahoo sucks lol. As soon as I have some $$ I can pay to have it hosted somewhere better.

I don't really know of any free better sites then yahoo though
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used Geocities for years and Tripod. They are good for beginners to experiment with and home users who don't have the resources, but eventually you have to get your own space it you really want to do it right.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a side-note, in case you didn't know your scrollbar colors only work in IE. Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox which I use primarily don't show them. Not much you can do about it. At the moment that's just the way it is.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe I know ;) I have been using firefox also. Sucks that it doesn't show but most people use ie right? and no harm really leaving it :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's just fine. IE users will see it. The only problem left is that repeating tiled background for higher res "wide-screen" laptop users like myself. Like you said that "looks like hell" but I'm not sure what you can do about it. On normal monitors your page will basically look OK.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I am looking for a different background now, something more smoother.

But this just so didn't sound good lol :)

Quote:
your page will basically look OK.

Just ok? :( lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry... It wasn't an insult. On a normal monitor you won't see a repeating tiled background like that, but on a laptop with a wider screen you will.

Personally I thought you did a top-notch job for writing your page in notepad. Others should take your example. You don't need a high dollar HTML generator program to write very nice pages.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it helps you at all my current resolution on this laptop is 1280x800

Most people are not going to be viewing at this kind of resolution, though so you don't have much to worry about.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol :) I didn't think you were really insulting it, I was kidding :)

I still changed the background to a calmer better tiled blue star thingy. I like it better anyways :)

I love using notepad :) I used dreamweaver for awhile and it did make things easier in alot of ways and it did help to kindof see as you go along, but there were some things I just didn't like about it and sometimes it just acted up and I couldn't get it to do things exactly the way I wanted to, which may have been my fault lol :)

I am not sure but I think the most common screen resolution is like 1024 X 768 which is what I use and it looks good for me. Not sure what it will look like for 800X600 but I tried to have it so it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyways thanks so much! :)
  • chargrims
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chargrims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey could somebody talk me through this process? I'm designing a page at the moment, I have an iframe set in the centre, and would like the background on the main page to show through the iframe, I have an external CSS so just tell me what I need to add and where, I'd be very grateful :D
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the iframe code itself you need to put this:

allowtransparency="true"

so for example my iframe code is:

<iframe src="framelove.html" name="framelove" scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" align="center"
height ="398" width ="430px" border="0" allowtransparency="true" id="content">
</iframe>
  1. <iframe src="framelove.html" name="framelove" scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" align="center"
  2. height ="398" width ="430px" border="0" allowtransparency="true" id="content">
  3. </iframe>

and in the page that will be used in the iframe you can put this in the top, between the head tags:

<style type="text/css">
<!-- BODY {background:none transparent;}-->
</style>
  1. <style type="text/css">
  2. <!-- BODY {background:none transparent;}-->
  3. </style>

and it should work :) mine is lol
  • chargrims
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chargrims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ace, it's worked, thank you!
  • Coraxus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Coraxus
  • Loc: DryDock Station orbiting over Sov. Latifundia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose while we are on the subject of iframe background transparency, if I want to make that one myself, I would have to modify both pages to make it work?

I was also wondering, if you make an iframe, but do not assign an "src" attribute, but then put the allowtransparency, would it still work, and also, would it have to be uploaded in order to work?
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm why wouldn't you want a src?? Going to a source tells it the page you want to display inside the iframe. If you just want an empty box with a transparent background you could use a table lol

I do not understand what you mean by uploaded to work? Do you mean will it just work on your computer? Because yes, but only you will be able to see it. ??

Yes you have to modify both pages. On the page that will show the iframe you would put:

<iframe src="whatever.html" name="framename" allowtransparency="true">
</iframe>
  1. <iframe src="whatever.html" name="framename" allowtransparency="true">
  2. </iframe>

on the page that will be inside the iframe you need to make the background transparent, you would add this to whatever.html (inside the head tags):

<style type="text/css">
<!-- BODY {background:none transparent;}-->
</style>
  1. <style type="text/css">
  2. <!-- BODY {background:none transparent;}-->
  3. </style>

btw I am sick so that may be why I just do not understand :)
  • Coraxus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Coraxus
  • Loc: DryDock Station orbiting over Sov. Latifundia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when I mean by uploading, I meant that it might not work if I saw it on my HD, that's all.

Oh, and the reason why one would not want an src attribute would possibly because the webmaster might want to put up a text disclaimer of somekind to view whatever content might show up in the iframe. It's basically just some unique way of showing things I guess. But I'm sure there could be reasons for having a lack of an src attribute.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I did try it without a src and it worked in both firefox and ie. To just create the box anyways but I couldn't get any text to appear without a src. Ofcourse I am not an expert, but I don't think you can.

I think I would probably just create the src page to have the disclaimer though and then after they read it have them click a link to let them open up the new page in the iframe I guess.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts