Triggering email, .com, etc features of phone keyboards

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Windows Phone 7 smartphone. When I'm filling out a form using a phone application, some of the text areas will trigger useful little extras in my phone's on screen keyboard. For instance, entering an email address or website address usually brings up ".com", ".net" and other common suffixes as keyboard keys I can just tap and have the suffix appended. However, I've never seen these keys when filling out a websites HTML form.

I imagine Android and iPhone keyboards have something similar, and I'm wondering whether there's something I can do to tell smart phones what sort of information to expect when users fill out my forms. I remember seeing something about data-specific fields in HTML5 awhile back, and I plan on checking those out today. I may get into looking for browser-specific attributes to add to regular <input> elements.

I want to stay away from using any mobile-specific languages.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like IE9 on Windows Phone 7 considers an HTML5 <input type="email"/> to be <input type="text"/>. Dumping the element's attributes via Javascript shows the type attribute as "text".

Code: [ Select ]
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I was going to say HTML5 has many new form input fields that would be more data specific that smart phones can pick up on. I remember reading somewhere at least that the iPhone will pick up on those and for instance if the type is a number, then it will display a numerical keypad. The new HTML5 Input Types are:

email (An e-mail address or list of e-mail addresses)
url (An absolute URI)
tel (A telephone number)
number (A numerical value)
range (A numerical value, with the extra semantic that the exact value is not important)
datetime (A date and time (year, month, day, hour, minute, second, fraction of a second) with the time zone set to UTC)
search (A search field)
color (An sRGB color with 8-bit red, green, and blue components)

Looks like IE at this time does not support any of these yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts