Trying to make a free host

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone please run down the scripts that i may need if i were to become a free web hoster provider. I would like a rundown of the scripts that i may need. I know i am going to need a few on the sign-up page it self. I also i am going to need one on the front page so you can login. but just give me some of the names that i will need.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know of any scripts. But I WILL give you some advice.

You going to need to know server side scripting, along with CGI or mySQL knowledge.

Basically it's not just a few scripts, but a whole system that needs to work together.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK thanks for telling me that. I think i will wait a few years and then think about it again
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good choice, I didn't want to come right out and say that :-P
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well u should of. what can i make that would help people. like http://www.freeboards.com. him and i were going to pair but this is 2 hard
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Help yourself first. Learn as much as you can. You are going to need to come up with something really unique or a really good deal or really good gimick for people to flock to a page you make.

Set a goal and try to reach it. I'm still shooting for my own domain :-p (gotta get off my dads account but my mom refuses to write a check because I don't appear to have anything "worthwhile" to post to the general populous :cry:)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't mind oversimplifying, you could do a free web host with just 2 or 3 scripts. Here's what you need.

1. index.cgi - this file will look up a user by their number. A user simply puts their number after the .cgi file, or something like this: http://yourfreehost/?1234 (or sometimes you can remove the ?)
2. edit.cgi - used to edit a users page

You only need to allow users to have one-page sites. If they want more than one page, they can just create multiple accounts.

The data would all be storable in a MySQL database somewhere. Simple.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is far to oversimplifying.
While it works in theory the "create multiple accounts" and storing the pages in a database would fail miserably in the real world.

First multiple accounts is rediculous, because someone could come in and sign up 100 times and if 100 people do that you have a very massive database on your hands.

Second, storing the actual pages is another horrific idea simply because a page could get to be enormous if you only allow people one site. They could just keep on making and use # for virtual pages. And with the previous example, 100 of these even 50 times could murder your database.

It's much easier to just create the files and store them like all normal free hosts do.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks.
I could probally test it w/ just a few friends.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you could make it a little more complex by limiting the number of pages per user (require a user to have a username, and limit that user to, say, 10 pages) and do a few other things to overcome the abovementioned problems.

But your right, that first idea is definately over-oversimplifying (hey i just invented my first word)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts