Two Probally Simple Questions

• Jackend
  • Jackend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello

On certain websites when you click on a link, either on the page or on the navigation bar the new page appears not in the browser but within a window.

I am not very good with HTML, and for my site I use a site builder, and its annoying doing the layout, the navigation bar and other things over and over again.

Another question I have is setting up User Accounts that also intergrate with the forums.
I'd like to be able to alot of control over user accounts, able to edit and include ranks and such so that certain people can access different content on the site.
If anyone know of a tutorial that can help, it would be greatly appreciated xD

Also, if anyone needs to know I have access to many tools I would possibly need.

~Jack
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

What type of forum are you using? that will already make a difference in answering your question ...

And then about the new window thing ... are you talking about a popup window like many spammy* sites have?

*not a real word - Just a site that is usually associated with spam ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<a href="http://example.com" target="_blank">example</a>

will cause the link to open in a new window.

As far as the user management goes, your best bet is to look into an existing CMS solution such as Joomla or forum software such as phpBB. To write something from scratch with limited experience would take quite a bit of time.
  • Jackend
  • Jackend

Post 3+ Months Ago

I worded my question wrong, sorry.

I want the page to open within the page.

Lets say I have a header on top, and a sidebar with navigation and a footer on the bottom, I want the navigation links to open the page within the empty space
------------------------
------------------------
[[
[[
[[
[[
[[
[[
[[
-----------------------
-----------------------
Lets say thats the page layout, I want the next page to open within the empty space.

Forum wise I plan on using phpBB

Thanks
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you're referring to are frames, and generally they should be avoided. There are very few situations where using a frameset is appropriate nowadays, and for a forum they would almost certainly be out the question.

Search Ozzu or Google for more information on why frames should be avoided.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spork, I think the reason people want to use frames is because it creates the illusion that a site's next page will load quicker because the menu will already be there and only the content needs to be loaded, but that is actually not true ... because if a site keeps the same theme throughout, the images etc will already be in cache memory and it won't make a difference in loading time ...
  • Jackend
  • Jackend

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did not want the frame for the forum, I wanted the frames for other parts of the site such as a contact page, etc.

I knew one way was frames, but im not sure how to get it to work
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I'd suggest is making a stop at w3schools and learning HTML and CSS ... those two are the fundamentals of building websites these days ... does this help you at all ... ?
  • Jackend
  • Jackend

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been there before, a long time ago.
I only learned a bit on frames, but I got it down now, thanks.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent, if you need any further help, please don't be shy in asking ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is a Google account needed for here? :scratchhead:

Quote:
Spork, I think the reason people want to use frames is because it creates the illusion that a site's next page will load quicker because the menu will already be there and only the content needs to be loaded, but that is actually not true ... because if a site keeps the same theme throughout, the images etc will already be in cache memory and it won't make a difference in loading time ...

I agree. That, and the fact that it lets them create a navigation page that they don't have to update on every page. Obviously, there are better ways to go about it.

One of the few places where I consider frames to be appropriate are on programming API documentation, such as the Javadoc or Flex API.
  • Jackend
  • Jackend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot guys.
It's easier using frames because lets say I create a better layout for my website, I do not need to change every single page. I just need to change the main page, since everything will appear in the frame and ill have a constant Navigation/Banner/SignIn/Etc.

~Jack
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems easier, bit it's going to kill your SEO.

There are many newer, better ways to accomplish the same thing without resorting to frames. If you want to include common content on multiple pages (navigation, headers, etc.), you're better off using an inclusion mechanism such as server-side includes or the ever popular PHP include().

Additionally, keeping your page styling in an external stylesheet will allow you to completely change the look of all your pages by simply editing one file.

http://www.php.net/include
http://www.w3schools.com/css
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
It seems easier, bit it's going to kill your SEO.

That's one of the main reasons it's not being used anymore ... I think the problem here isn't that google isn't able to scan those pages, the problem is that I could just as easily add someone Else's content into a frame and then get their keywords for doing absolutely nothing ... Imagine that ...

spork wrote:
There are many newer, better ways to accomplish the same thing without resorting to frames. If you want to include common content on multiple pages (navigation, headers, etc.), you're better off using an inclusion mechanism such as server-side includes or the ever popular PHP include().

php include() is really easy to use and it works really well ... just make sure that your server supports php obviously ...

spork wrote:
Additionally, keeping your page styling in an external stylesheet will allow you to completely change the look of all your pages by simply editing one file.

http://www.php.net/include
http://www.w3schools.com/css

I agree fully, just another link for php include: http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_includes.asp

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts