Uninstall joomla?

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took on a project of designing and building a website that had joomla installed on it. (No content added at that point). As I began to design the template, there were changes made to the point where eventually, NOTHING was tied in with joomla.

Everything currently being used, is all my code and redesign (with exception to a few open source .js files, etc).

I think I would like to uninstall the joomla, but I know it would have to be done at night since it is installed on the root dir and the index will have to be moved, files reloaded (because my experience with joomla is that sometimes it removes everything on the root, sometimes it leaves it's own files littered there).

I know the answer should be "if nothing is linked or tied back to joomla, then it should be as easy as uninstalling joomla and maybe uploading at most the backed up files I've created" .. but still nervous about doing it.

Anyone ever done this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestion if you have backups of all the files you created, is to entirely wipe the root directory, and reupload from scratch. Using the uninstall for Joomla, as you said, can leave a lot of the Joomla files on the server. Complete wipe would be best way to go.

One other thing is what of your current files are integrated with the Joomla database? If they don't use any database simplest is to erase the database as well. If they do interface with the Joomla database, theres a few steps you can take(albeit rather tedious steps) to clean out quite a bit of the unused Joomla tables.

Open up the raw database file for Joomla, or install a fresh copy at a second location. Open up your database and the fresh Joomla db. Search through and delete each table or column by hand for each one that you aren't using.

Alternatively, look through your files, compile a list of each table/column you are using, and create a new SQL script to create a blank database. Export your databases data only. Do not export the commands to automatically create the new tables/columns. Then run the script on your blank database. This will add the data for all the tables and columns that exist, and will error out all the other data, leaving you with only your tables and columns and only your data.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Poly. yeah, it's all clean code and nothing tied to joomla or db.
Since I made this post, I actually moved the hand created folders and files associated with the site to another website that I use for testing that contains no joomla what so ever, just to make sure of that, even painstakingly going through to make sure any and all urls were re written to the files/folders on the test site and not still pointing to anything on the original site.

I think I may be OCD when it comes to things like this :)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's always a good thing, or at least I tell myself that.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

also there is 2 ways of getting joomla installed right every time.

1) use softulicious and have it installed off the server.

2) upload the rar file and extract it on the server

option 2 is best to make sure you get a clean install every time and you know that all the files are on there.

Chmod the permissions and off ya go :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts