Updating website content

• mister harbies
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mister harbies
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

I have been asked to create a website that will need to be updated frequently like once a week. To be honest, I have lots of learning to do.

Im planning to use a table with the news content in one of the cells... but the problem is I do not know what is the first step. I don't want to have to update the whole html file, but maybe sending a file of somekind like a .txt file or a database.

Should I use a script, PHP or someother website language?

I am using Adobe GoLive 6.0 if this helps. Maybe there is something in there that will make my job easier?

It would be great for some help!

Cheers,

Mister Harbies 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to ozzu

Please do not crosspost in different categories. This does not help you,
nor ozzu in general. It will not get your question answered any faster,
and makes it difficult for people in the future who may want the answer
to the same question. Just be patient, someone will answer your
question shortly...it might even be me. ;) Thanks.
  • mister harbies
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mister harbies

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry bout that,

I was not sure which catagory my post should have been put into. I thought it would be best to put it into both.

Won't do it again.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's no problem...just letting you know. :mrgreen:
  • Thanol
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Thanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you plan on adding on a bunch of moduals like polls and stuff to your site php includes would be the best option. Also you'd need to learn PHP.

If you're not planning on learning PHP then SSI, server side includes, are a good option as well. Just rename all your HTML files to .shtml and add <!--#include file="name of file.txt" --> to the part of the page you want the text to be added, then the HTML tags and text in that file will be added, once your site is put on a server which can do SSI. Also shtml pages can work with CGI so you can also add dynamic content to shtml like a php page.
  • mister harbies
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mister harbies

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I also plan to use polls too, but have not got around to that part yet.

Since I was gonna insert a poll into the website as well as having an easy updatable website, I should take the effort to study PHP then. I think it should be worth it in the long run.

Im off to study some PHP.

In the meantime, I still welcome everyone to make more comments. Maybe others recommend other methods?

I found iframes is kinda working. Not perfect though but still working on it. :)

Cheers,

Mister Harbies
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I found iframes is kinda working. Not perfect though but still working on it.

Clearly your either viewing the page on the harddrive of the computer, or you have a fast connection to the server. Iframes are terrible on a dialup modem. Also, more and more people have those mice with those nice little scroll whell things. Depending on the browser (IE is much worse than the others) these can cause unpredictable (and usually very messy) scrolling.

The ONLY realistic way to maintain a site with a lot of content is through a CMS. I would recommend WEBGui (PlainBlack, but it is a real pain to get working. (no seriously, even if your server is compatible (most that i've used aren't) it'll take a lot of work to set up, but if you can it's worth it). However, PHPNuke is very good too, even with a lot of content.

If you really want I can provide you with the code for my perl based cms I produced, you can see it in action at http://perlforthenet.com/ but I wouldn't recommend it. It'll take you hours to modify to get it to work on your server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts