Do URL redirects affect search engine page ranking?

• redlance
  • Born
  • Born
  • redlance

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand that this is a complicated topic, but the question in and of itself is fairly specific. How do page redirects affect PR?

I have a site but there is no content on that actual URL at all. My actual home/front page is my Vbulletin forum (

The issue is that I have great (or at least I think great) content on the forum home, which helps my PR for relavent content...but none of my incoming links are to the, all websites that link to me link to and then of course when someone clicks the link they are redirected to

So although my can still be ranked by the contents, is it hurt because incoming links don't point specifically to my forum page?

Because of course we all know that the incoming/outgoing links matrix ranks individual pages and the links respectively.

So the web crawler/bot comes in from a link off another high PR website and finds my just sitting there with no content, or does the bot recognize the redirect?
  • JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been told several times that search engines such as google dislike re-directs. However this is all hear-say.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

So why don't you just move the files to instead ... ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts