Do URL redirects affect search engine page ranking?

• redlance
  • Born
  • Born
  • redlance

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand that this is a complicated topic, but the question in and of itself is fairly specific. How do page redirects affect PR?

I have a site domain.com but there is no content on that actual URL at all. My actual home/front page is my Vbulletin forum (domain.com/forum)

The issue is that I have great (or at least I think great) content on the forum home, which helps my PR for relavent content...but none of my incoming links are to the domain.com/forum, all websites that link to me link to domain.com and then of course when someone clicks the link they are redirected to domain.com/forum.

So although my domain.com/forum can still be ranked by the contents, is it hurt because incoming links don't point specifically to my forum page?

Because of course we all know that the incoming/outgoing links matrix ranks individual pages and the links respectively.

So the web crawler/bot comes in from a link off another high PR website and finds my domain.com just sitting there with no content, or does the bot recognize the redirect?
  • JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been told several times that search engines such as google dislike re-directs. However this is all hear-say.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

So why don't you just move the files to domain.com instead ... ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts