Validation Icons

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I recently saw yet another site proudly displaying their "xHTML Valid" and "CSS Valid" icons and I stepped back for a moment to ask "what's the point?". Why are people so insistent on throwing those really ugly icons on their pages (sometimes when the pages aren't even valid)?

In my mind those icons serve no purpose for two reasons. First of all the average web user has no idea what valid markup is and they probably don't really care. If you've ever tried to explain standards compliant coding to a client you know what I mean. In fact most people won't even know if they're viewing the site the way it was intended or if their browser is rendering everything completely off. That means that in reality, validity icons only purpose is to show off for other developers, which leads into my next point.

Validity icons simply state that a site is actually coded the way it should have been coded anyway. I EXPECT a site to use valid xHTML and I'm curious why anyone would make the decision NOT to use valid code? I believe that most non-valid sites are created by people who never learned proper coding techniques in the first place and therefore can't be expected to have valid code or icons designating it as such.

In my mind displaying validity icons on a site is a bit like a car with a huge window sticker stating that it comes with seat belts. Now the car SHOULD have seat belts whether or not the consumer fully understands the safety statistics and we don't need a sticker to tell us they're included.

Ok I'm done with my rant, but does anyone know a reason for those icons that I'm missing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use them when w3c first came out with them. Then I quit primarily for the points you made.

//besides the only page I still have that validates 100% both CSS and XHTML transitional is my own site http://www.atnoproductions.com and it's only a temporary page.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

99% of the time I see those on websites and click on them, the site doesn't validate.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to ask the question here since I feel like almost all of the sites in the review forum make use of those icons. I thought maybe just maybe someone could enlighten me to their thought process :-)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even w3schools which used to use it took it off. When I used them I was still somewhat of a noob. My reasoning was to "prove" my design skills were up to snuff. Sort of the "Hey look at me - I design the right way" type of thing. I think the validator itself says the reason that most people add them:

Quote:
To show your readers that you have taken the care to create an interoperable Web page, you may display this icon on any page that validates. Here is the HTML you could use to add this icon to your Web page:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO the deal for most of the sites in review - proud newbie accomplishment feeling that you have to share with the world. You attempted something, you reached a goal, you earned a badge, and now you want to show it off. I'd wager that we've all been there at some point in our careers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts