Voting systems

• JiRaffe
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

How's the best way to run a vote whereby visitors can only vote once? I have the option of running it through a forum, where only members can vote but that way anyone else who wanted to vote would have to register.

Is there any kind of html way of doing this, using cookies or something?

cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The polling system on a phpBB does it. :)
  • JiRaffe

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhh yes i just checked phpBB hacks and i see they do a thing which allows guest voting but also implements IP tracking. excellent! cheers :)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're looking at a standalone method that doesn't use some sort of member database, try using a combination of server Session variables and cookies. I did this for my org's online poll (http://www.careusa.org) tool.

Basically, when you vote, it sets a session variable on the server, AND sets a cookie on the client machine. This way, if the client disables cookies, the poll still won't accept votes from them while their session is active. If they want to close their browser, and come back... whatever... It's not like online polls are scientific anyway.

If cookies are enabled, the system won't accept votes at all (and if you try, you'll still get the session set as well...).

Using IP only to stop multiple votes is risky because of the volume of people on AOL, who pretty much all will have the same IP address... If you're site doesn't get many AOL (or other proxy using services, like AT&T and Earthlink), then you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll be blocking legit users a lot of the time.

.c
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash is great for this :D

Go here

enter somthing in the top box & click set cookie, clear all your cookies offline files, ect.. now refresh or re-enter the page.

It's not fool proof but is able to thwart the average vote-flooder :wink:

Edit// I changed it so you can enter your own value :wink:
PS, try checking it in a different browser now.

I used to use this with a poll sig i had here, when it detected that the person had voted allready within a certain time it just told them there was an error logging the vote instead of letting them know WHY there was an error :wink:
  • JiRaffe

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm... thats an interesting technique. not sure if i understand how you could implement it into a voting system because my programming knowledge is very limited. i got the vote set up on my forum and it seems to be going ok (apart from a few users registering with hotmail accounts) to vote more time

what can you do!?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something about each user has to be defined as unique. either e-mail, IP, a cookie, a session, some combination... but at the end of the day, as is the nature of the Internet, a user who REALLY wants to go to the trouble is going to beat your prevention method, unless you do something like require a credit check or something (and even then!).

That's why I use the combo of sessions and cookies. It means to flood the vote system, you have to not only clear cookies, but also initialize a new session (open a new browser or wait 15 minutes per vote... AND clear cookies each time).

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts