Wap site

• The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I'll have to build a site soon, accessible by mobile phone - it has to be a wap-thing. I don't much about wap, that's what the problem is.

What do I use to create a wap database, how do I do it, and how do I handle data from that database? What software do you recommend?

Thanks for reading, people!

Rgrds,
The_torst.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never got into using cookies & whatnot but I was able to link to ASP pages I rigged to read info from XML files on one of the el-cheapo cellphones that they give away with new activations, HTML tags like form & ahref worked just like using a browser with only the keyboard. I was also able to shrink jpg images to my phones screen size, place them on a website & link to them with the phones browser which automatically asked me if I wanted to save the jpg into my wallpapers folders.

Don't know if this is much help but I thought it would be nice to know :)
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

WAP is just a method for accessing information from wireless devices.
What you're looking for is WML, which is a markup language, much like HTML.

This being the case, you can use pretty much any backend to access your database (php, asp, perl, etc) and generate the WML page just like you would any HTML page.

This page is a good starting point for WML: http://www.w3schools.com/wap/wml_reference.asp

One major difference between WML and HTML is that WML uses a "deck of cards" model to accomodate the small viewing area of most phones.

The "deck" consists of one or more "cards" that contain different information. For example, I wrote a stats page for an affiliate program that allowed affiliates to check their sales, conversion ratio, hits, clicks etc from their mobile phone.
In my deck, card 1 showed the number of sales and the amount of money they made. Card 2 showed their impressions and clicks, card 3 showed their conversion ratio (clicks vs. sales)

The cards in the deck are generally accessed via the 2 buttons under the screen on most phones (I called them the left and right buttons)

One thing you will find out is that WML support in mobile phones is much like javascript in the major web browsers. Certain phones have bugs, others don't support certain tags, and you will recieve a very generic "Compile Error", which is no help at all :)

For testing, you should download as many emulators as you can find.
Two really popular ones are the Openwave emulator, available here: http://developer.openwave.com/dvl/ and the Nokia Developer Kit here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,034-2,00.html

as a final note, it's not that different from developing a regular HTML application. The major difference is the markup tags.
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for the help, guys, it really helps - I see much clearer now :D
I'll probably have a couple of other questions a bit later... 8)

Rgrds,
The_torst.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts