I was just wondering...

• SLAMdubz44
  • Born
  • Born
  • SLAMdubz44

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just wondering if anybody on here could help me....What i would like to know is how do i design a hyperlink which would lock the computer screen unless you click in a spot, and enter a password? My friend showed me when he created one, but i have lost touch with him and was wondering if any of you could help me out...Thanks! :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

Can you explain how this would be a good thing?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get the feeling he's asking for a javascript login prompt.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh. I thought "screen" as in entire computer screen, locking up windows :lol: my first thought was why and then how? oh well.

If atno is right, then I'm not sure - I've only ever done this server-side before.
  • biotech
  • biotech
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

well they arent very secure but if you want one there should be one at http://www.javafiles.com/ or atleast i think that is the link.
  • SLAMdubz44
  • Born
  • Born
  • SLAMdubz44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i am not sure if it is a javascript login prompt or not....Thanks for the site biotech, but it didn't work :( haha...The reason i need one is because i have brothers who like to go through my files on the computers and delete them, so if i had a decoy file to click on, they would lock the computer and not be able to ransack through my stuff...But here are the details i remember of what my friend's was like... You clicked on the link, and the screen turned completely black. There was no instruction on what to do, it looked as if the computer monitor was turned off. He then clicked in the lower left hand corner and all of a sudden a box poped up in the middle of the screen, but the rest of the screen was still black. He then typed in his password, hit enter, and it went back to what he was doing before, as if nothing ever happened...Well, if you could give me any more information or sites to check out, i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :D
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmmmm, sounds like a computer prog to me. Not a internet script. And you said your friend made it? Your friend im guessing is a programmer, so your question is in the wrong thread i would think. I dont know anything about it, but it doesnt sound like the best thing in the world. If you are using windows, just lock out your username. Its not the best, but what the heck, it works well enough.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah with shark shark on this one. Javascript wouldn't let you do that because you could quite happilly cease up anyones' system with your web page - its not gonna happen.

The chances are that this program just ran full screen with a black screen - bet you any money a ctrl-alt-delete would have let you get back in straight away....

Just log out. XP even lets you run apps while you are logged out doesn't it? (I dont use xp so don't know for sure)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

What OS?
If Win2k or XP just ctrl+alt+del and select lock.
If 98 about the best you can do is set up a BIOS password and shut down the computer when you're not using it. If they're not to savvy, they shouldn't be able to figure out how to get past that.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

kool, I didnt know about the lock on ctrl+alt+delete. I dont see where it says lock though.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I just had look by doing ctrl-alt-delete but I'm on win98, d'oh! :oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's on Win2K and XP. When you ctrl+alt+del it's on the bottom left "lock workstation". Only you or an administrator user can unlock it. If you are on 98 or ME you don't have that option.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts