Web design

• EmilyPriscott
  • Born
  • Born
  • EmilyPriscott

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm new to the whole web design thing, and I want to start an e-commerce site-is it best to get one professionally done or just use a template? Can anyone recommend something for a beginner?

Thanks, Emily.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, before you make up your mind, you need to decide how much time you want to put into your site, how much control you want to have over it, and exactly what it is you want to be doing with it.

If you want to have complete control over everything, are willing to put a lot of time into it, and are interested in the design and development aspects of running a website, and if you really want to give a go at designing the site yourself, the best place to start is learning HTML and CSS, and asking lots of questions.

If you don't mind letting a designer/developer do the actual code work for you, are ok with working with someone else, and are more interested in investing your time and effort into the actual running of the site, selling the products, and so on, then it would probably be best to hire a professional do design it for you.

Of course, you could also go along any sort of middle ground - working with a designer to make the site, and then learning how to tweak and maintain the design yourself; starting from a template and working from there; etcetera.

It's really up to you - it all depends on whether you want to focus on the selling/managing end of your site, or the designing/development end.

If you want to get a professional, I'd recommend doing some serious shopping around before you decide who to go with. Make sure you find someone who understands what you want, and is willing to work both with you and for you. (If you decide to get a professional, of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to learn anything on your own - you still can!)

If you decide to try your hand at designing it yourself, the first place you want to start is learning the basics: HTML and CSS. I's recommend checkout out: W3Schools, tizag.com, and HTML Source for some handy tutorials to get you going. And, of course, sticking around here on Ozzu!

Anyway - sorry for being so wordy! Hope that helps!
  • EmilyPriscott
  • Born
  • Born
  • EmilyPriscott

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, that is helpful! I want to concentrate more on the actual business side of it, so I guess I'll hire someone.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts