Web Page Display Mystery (Graphics differ on local vs web)

• lplplpx3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lplplpx3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully somebody can help solve this mystery...locally my graphics on my web page display fine BUT as soon as I upload to my web server and look at the page online, the graphics appear kind of distorted, fuzzy and grungy looking (like really low quality jpegs).

I am getting this display across all Platforms (Mac and PC) as well as browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari). Also have tried on the iPod Touch (Safari) and my smartphone (Opera mobile) all show the distorted graphics and I just cant figure out why. Of course Support have found nothing wrong and have sent me screen shots proving it although they are unable to explain why I see what I see across all these different mediums.

I hoping someone can shed some light and solve this mystery, I have never run into this before.

PS I was about to leave my host and quickly decided to try the files on another host/server but the files displayed the same for me there too, so I figured its not my host. Have uploaded, deleted, reuploaded but just cant figure it out.

THANKS.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

how are you saving the images and what file type are they?
  • lplplpx3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lplplpx3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Save in photoshop...usually jpeg and use the 'save for web' function. I make sure the graphics look good and are of decent quality. Think I need to save to a higher resolution?

Ive been designing sites etc for years and have never run into this problem before. Also what is confusing is that everything displays fine locally and grungily online.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt its resolution (I'm assuming your using 72dpi for the original image) but two things come to mind right away.

In the "save for web" dialogue box is the "Progressive" item checked under jpeg? This is the thing that makes jpegs look like they load in stages. Also make sure the "optimize" is unchecked since it will sometimes force lower quality than you want.

The other thing that comes to mind is that your source is a CMYK/or color profiled image. Saving as a jpeg will maintain both of those things and they could be causing problems on the web server that don't exist locally.

Out of curiosity have you tried saving as png's in the "save for web" dialogue? Doing so would remove any of that stuff I discussed and then since a png is loss-less you could save the png as a jpeg (similar process to copying and pasting into a plain text editor to remove MS word formatting)

Those are just my best guesses based on what you've described. Any chance you want to PM me with a link so I can see if they work/don't work for me?
  • lplplpx3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lplplpx3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks so much graphixboy, you definitely lived up to your name...png worked fine and eradicated all my problems.

I am still kind of baffled as Progressive was unchecked (I never use that), but optimized was checked. All graphics were RGB. I did low and high jpeg 'save for webs' but there was no difference in the output.

PNG solved my problem and I guess I will be using this format here on out.

Thanks once again.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great, glad it worked! Just a heads up. PNG's are really nice but they aren't fully supported in IE6 and below. So just a heads up on that if your target audience is in that group.

If you still want to use a jpeg format you could always go PSD -> PNG -> Jpeg. It adds an extra step but should hopefully fix some of those issues. However, I've never seen anything like what your describing either so maybe this is a limited case issue and you won't have to change your entire process.
  • lplplpx3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lplplpx3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, great thanks.

BTW I checked my site at "netrenderer" (which gives screenshot of your site in IE5.5 thru IE8) and everything looked fine BUT I think its about time I stopped supporting IE6 anyway, and you've given me even more reason to do so.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts