Web site designs

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi this sound like a stupid question. i enjoy making web sites and want to make more but i have no reason to make them . is it worth making a personal site ? :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use my personal site for many things other than just a public site. I'd say yes, if you intend to become a professional Web guy.

Besides you're own email adresses(much more professional than joeblow@hotmail.com) and a place to show off your work, there are many good reasons to have your own site.
  • Smart_Phil_Dude
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Smart_Phil_Dude

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll: I don't really know. some people enjoy making persionnal web sites, but i don't know if people will visit it or not. if you think people will visit it, then go ahead, if you don't think people will visit it, then don't bother making it.

What's my point? My point is, that u should make your site interesting so that people visit it, and stay on it, without leaving (if it is boring).
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what i mean i want to make a site but is there any point. but how else can i improve making sites
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah its hard to build a site without a bit of a "brief" because this is the guide on what you build a site with. you could ask around, ask your friends, work, relatives etc if they want a site and get a brief. if you cant get anyone come up with one yourself. just pick out a subject and come up with a brief and set some goals for the site. include things like website objectives, target audience, usability, accessibility and technologies. whether its going to have flash elements or server side includes or scripts etc. and you can impliment things that you need to learn.

i would be thinking about is what can i build that can make me $$$. ;-) so setting up a portfolio site offering your services would be a good start.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The point of making a PERSONAL site is exactly that. PERSONAL.

I have a personal site. It's not SEO'd, it has a lot of things that are only useful to me, and I don't care if nobody else ever sees it because it's there for my benefit - nobody else's :)

It has links I go to often (for when I'm not at a PC with all my favourites), news feeds for sites I like to keep an eye on, various pre-defined Google searches & things relating to my sites.

So, it all entirely depeneds on whether YOU want one, and whether it's going to benefit YOU :)
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
have a personal site. It's not SEO'd, it has a lot of things that are only useful to me, and I don't care if nobody else ever sees it because it's there for my benefit - nobody else's

My thoughts exactly!!
When i do a website it will be a tribute to my dog, it matters not to me if anyone looks, my dog derserves recognition for what she suffered in her short life. ..and how she loved me and was faithful companion for the short time i had her.
My forums well, i wanted to be boss girl lolol i have been around forums working hard as i can for other people, when i can, so i decided to have my own, i don't expect it to be anything like bwm's but its mine, so there lololol
suzie.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a good idea on the custom made home page, I thought about doing that once but I haven't got around to it. Once I made a page that had several links listed on it. If i where at another computer I would have all my links already there, was pretty useful. I suppose making your own 'gateway' page like axe mentioned would be useful at other computers as well.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

dqualter wrote:
thats what i mean i want to make a site but is there any point. but how else can i improve making sites

Exactly. You NEED your own personal website if you ever want to develop any talent. Even if it's just a hokey website with little or no content, you need something to experiment on.

Either that, or find someone who could use a website and dedicate yourself to giving them a good web image for free if it's your first site.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks all :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts