Webmaster Income? good money?

• DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd be interested to see what you all do on the internet to make money.

I know some of you design sites for jobs, some run their own sites and sell things, some make money off referalls....

I'd like to hear what you all do. And if you are comfortable with sharing - how much you make (yearly, hourly, per job, whatever...).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no income....and i spend nothing....

the only thing i do spend (theoretcily) is time.

I make websites as a kind of hobby, other peope do as you say, but me, i would love to make some money, but if and when i do, it will be on something different, not original.
  • DymeMedia1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently design sites and own a design company in partnership with a list of other big design companys includin infinium labs ( the phantom guys)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I design websites, an average site is about AU$500 but I have done jobs worth a lot more than that AU$1500+ for larger sites.

I also do design work which pulls about AU$300 for a standard brochure etc.

I never thought I would make money from it but I have. There are lots of businesses out there who don't want to pay a fortune for a website & other advertising design - but just want something that looks nice and gives their customers somewhere to get other info on them.

The other thing is smaller businesses often cannot afford to hire a marketing manager/assistant to design their advertising needs, so I act as a freelance marketing person for them. it makes more financial sense to get someone as you need them, especially if your prices are good, you can make a lot of money.
  • DymeMedia1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

good point there musik ;) its true
  • Thanol
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Thanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've only made enough money (thru Adsense + Amazon ), and a little extra, from my site to recoup for the hosting and domain.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

From affiliates last xmas I made £1000 in December but this xmas I made £160. Its much harder now to get customers and compete on search engins.

ALL the money I earn from my moviesite (http://www.futuremovies.co.uk) goes back into promoting the website (Inktomi, T-shirsts, Travel costs, postage etc...) and I give my editors a small £20 gift voucher each.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been trying to make money on the Web, and my salary is $0.00. *sigh*

Here's what I have found NOT to work for sites with low traffic (> 20 visitors/day):
> Affiliate programs: unless you get a lot of traffic, don't bother with them
> Advertisements: same with this one: you need a lot of traffic to make anything when you are paid $0.0001 per impression (This is not an exaggeration. Most ad servers I have found offer -- on average -- $0.0001 per impression)
> Pay-per-click programs: These pay more than ads (usually $0.10 per click) but for some reason, my visitors never click on them, even when I ask them to "do me a favor if you have benefitted from this site"

Now, after all that depressing information... does anyone know what does work?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

From banners:

I was getting 5000 users a day and made that £1000 in december (£200 on average other months) but now I get £150 dec (£60 an average month) and only about 1800 UV. Banners have to relate to your content or users.

If you sell something direct and your sites purpose is to sell this product you make MUCH more than simply putting banners on your site.

£1 = about $0.70
  • Thanol
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Thanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

Acually £1 = about $1.70 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GBPUSD%3dX&d=1b
  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically...it's very easy...I try to earn more from each visit then
I pay to get it. :)

Making money from advertisements on our sites...and from membership
fees.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reading all your posts is very interesting. However, I like to know what are you charges base on when you design a website for a customer? Another words, how do you come with the price for a website that you are going to design? What do you charge them by?

I love to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks!

ljCharlie
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on the job & the client... You have to be able to adjust your pricing scheme between big companies, and small or new companies that don't have the budget - or potential return - that larger companies do...

Depending on who the client is, I charge a fixed amount for a basic set list of things that I feel need to be done at minimum for their site. Then I charge them an hourly rate on top of that.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response.

ljCharlie
  • Griffin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Griffin
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made $0.0 too :(

But only been doing web design about 1 year.

I reckon the best way to go, is too spend the first year designing sites for free to get yourself a portfolio going (small sites, large sites, clan sites, forum themes) make sure u add your signature to the bottom of each template. and hopefully the customers will come to u lol.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Griffin wrote:
make sure u add your signature to the bottom of each template. and hopefully the customers will come to u lol.

Hey, don't laugh at that bit... Just this last week I got a new client that way. First time ever, he'd just seen my link at the bottom of a site and contacted me. Normally they've contacted the client whose site I did, and then being introduced. But yeah, people can just randomly E-Mail you from those links (plus, if they're links on popular pages, it gets you higher up in Google) ;)
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the responses. I have don't a couple of sites for people including where I work. I'm not sure if it is leagal to list the site I design at work as part of my portfolio. Any suggestions?

ljCharlie
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just make up some demo sites. Sites for nobody in particular, just to show off what you can do.
  • Griffin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Griffin
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe good idea axe, how would the visitor know if the site is false or not lol.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's not about whether the site is real or not, it's about the quality. And if you put top quality into a site that isn't even for a client, that's gonna speak volumes about your passion towards the work, and gives them more confidence in you that you'll do a good job.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get paid in pizza. lol, whenever I make something for my mom like a flyer, signs, or whatever else, she usually just gets a pizza or something. Sometimes I get a few bucks....

I am making a web page for my mom's friend and she said that she will pay me some money every once in a while, just a little say every week or so. I don't mind since I would probably have done it for free, and it's not like I don't have lots of free time.

But when I do get my own site up and going, I will just pay domain costs out of my pocket ($5 a year is not much..) and I have free hosting for a few years, and after that it will only be like $30 or so a month, and I can just pay that out of my pocket as well (or move to free hosting?) but when I do get my site up, it will be mainly an iformation site, not a money making site. I will have a store though, mainly to play around with the oscomerce thing, but I will 'sell' just stupid stuff from my room, mostly as a joke.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres not a whole lot of need for a web designer of my lesser skills (both in the areas of artistic ability and coding) in the Flint area....so I've had a difficult time getting clients, but I tend to ask for about 50-75% of the going rate in the area. The client gets a good, solid web site that he/she is proud of enough to want to advertise the fact, and I make some spare cash.

I have this one belief...it's the client's wants or needs that are paramount, not my own.

If the client asks me for advice about colors, page layout prefs or even what level of CSS to use, I offer an opinion or guiding hand.
If he decides that he wants eighteen of the most garish colors nature ever came up with, eight different fonts and heaven forbid.....flashing text (ala netscape), then that is what he gets, and at a reasonable price.

I may not include it on my portfolio page *lol* , but he gets what he asked for.

Sorry if I spouted off more than you asked for :lol:

Cheers...

C.C.

PS...it's always a good idea to have business cards with you any time you're away from the office or home.
Ya never know when someone you meet in public decides they like the way you describe the importance of having a business web site.
What potential client wants to try and remember a URL. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts