Webpage shortcut icon like Ozzu's (not favicon) - how to?

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
When I drag a shortcut to an Ozzu page onto my desktop, the webpage shortcut icon is a big, bold OZZU logo instead of the standard Firefox page icon (see attached picture showing the Ozzu shortcut and the standard web page shortcut on a desktop).

How is that done? I don't mean a favicon; that I can do. I'd like to have my website pages' shortcuts display my logo the way the Ozzu one does.

Thanks for looking.

Cerio
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Cerio,

It actually is a favicon.ico file on the server, the difference most likely is that it is a 64x64 size favicon.ico file versus a 16x16 favicon.ico. It must be that having a larger version of a favicon.ico file allows it to be used for more things including showing up in the browser by the address field, as well as being used for larger purposes such as when you drag the icon out on your desktop. When you do that it probably wants to use a 64x64 bit icon and if that is not available it defaults to the standard Firefox icon. If it is available like on Ozzu, then it would display the actually custom icon.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
Thanks for replying.
I've just tried replacing mine with a 64x64 favicon and the new icon showed in the browser address field as the little favicon but, when dragged to the desktop, I still just got the standard Firefox shortcut icon. I must be doing something wrong.

Cerio
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you try completely clearing your web browser's cache? It is possible that your web browser still has the 16x16 favicon stored and is using that. Make sure you delete all of your cache so that it fetches a new 64x64 bit icon. See if that does the trick.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

cleared the cache and reopened the page but still no change to the shortcut icon, though the new 64x64 favicon does show in the address bar.
I've also just noticed that my address bar favicon does not show in Chrome or IE, though it does in Firefox. It used to show in IE, at least.

In a post on Ozzu about favicons, I read
Quote:
(in IE) you can't see the favicon when you first visit the site, so a trick is to partially drag the 'e' icon out of the address bar and let go your mouse button, THat'll cause it to refresh and you can see it.
so I tried that in IE and Chrome but they still dont show in the IE or Chrome address bars, even though it shows on Firefox.

I'm clearly overlooking things here. Now two puzzles, how to make web page shortcuts dragged to the desktop show my icon instead of the generic Firefox one and how to get my little address bar favicon to show in IE and Chrome.

Cerio
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I changed the path from /images/favicon.ico to the full web address http//www................/images/favicon.ico and it shows on all 3 of the browsers now and the shortcut now displays the icon too.
In Chrome, however, it does not show it in the actual address bar but does on the page tab in the browser.
All three browsers show it on the page shorcuts when dragged to the dektop.

Thanks for your help.

Cerio
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh were you using the code:

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico">

and you just changed it from a relative path to a full absolute URL? I don't think I even use that code as most browsers automatically look for the default favicon.ico file in your root directory anyway. It wouldn't hurt to use the above code, but maybe when you had it as the relative URL it was throwing everything off. Weird.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, it only all worked if I used the full path, including the domain.
The little favicon showed in Firefox with just the relative path but it didn't in IE or Chrome and none of them added the icon to a page shortcut dragged from the address bar to the desktop. The full path solved that.

With the full path, they all worked, though Chrome shows the tiny icon on the browser tab but not in the address field but the Ozzu one doesn't show there either, so I assume Chrome just doesn't display favicons on the address field

Cerio

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts