Website databases

• Bash
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone help me set up a few databases. one will be for names and passwords and the other will be for product line. I am still new to Web design so if you know how to do this or if you know something that would work better I am all ears.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

It isn't just that easy bash ... you'll have to use a scripting language like for instance ASP or PHP which you can both learn at http://www.w3schools.com ... but I don't think anyone here is just going to do it for free ...
  • Bash
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bash

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never asked anyone to do it for me I just simply asked if anyone knew how and if so could they explain a little about how to do it. I never stated that I wanted someone to do it for me. And my other question was if someone knows how to do what would be the easiest way to learn how...
  • Netlyte
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Netlyte

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allright well there's more to it but partially it depends on which host you have and what they support.

The hosting account I have uses plesk which allows you very easily to setup a database and create a userid / password so that you can manage that database.

Which type of database?
That too depends on the hosting account , MySQL is use by a lot of hosting companies so I'd recommend you start with MySQL. There's also MS SQL which is from Microsoft.

Now that you have a database you need to create tables with fields to store data.

You mentioned one being for names / password. So you could create a table called "NamesInfo" and create 2 fields -- one for name and one for password.

Once you've done that you'll need to use a web programming language like the one that righteous trespasser mentioned --
Php , ASP, or ColdFusion MX -- this will also depend on what your hosting account supports. Most do support PHP and ASP.

Once you select a programming language you'll also need to find out how to write SQL Query Language. This is almost same for the database -- it will allow you to write queries that read data / write data / update data / delete data on your database.

If you're interested in find out more pick up a book with title php/mysql - there are lots of them - I'm sure someone can recommend a good one for you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts