Website quote

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

My parents were just curious what some of you would charge for a 1500+ item database, set up with an osCommerce, and custom template. We'de just like to see how much we are saving the person I have done this for.

Thanks those who respond.

PS - I am not basing my price on this, as one has already been settled upon, just curious what an actual business would charge.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you the one entering all the data and items? and what
language, php? using mysql?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the last time I set up OScommerce and eliminated the stock examples and set up a basic payment mod, that was $750 without dealing with data entry or customizing a template. I'd have to calculate how much time I thought it would take to input or import the data into the database. I'm also guessing that being the php guru that you are, you also installed phpMyAdmin to manage the database. Nor does it take into account whether you are using stock graphics or custom graphics.

I'd say my base minimum starting price just to get the structure in place would be $1500. Add to that the data entry time (depending on how fast you type or whether it's a simple import), plus template customization. Then you also need to figure out how they are going to handle the payment gateway. Then you need to consider how the database is going to be maintained and updated. Are you going to do it, or are they? If they are, then you may need to incorporate training time to teach a specified number of people how to do it. If you are going to do it, then you need to negotiate an ongoing maintenance price.

I couldn't see anything less than $3000. I'd be willing to say you could probably start at $4000. The easy part for you is the code is already written. What you have to decide on is how much time it's going to take you and decide what it's worth. I know some companies that charge customers $7500 or better for much less. The other thing to take into consideration is the client, i.e. how fat is their pocket book? You need to have a feel for how much they anticipate spending for the project. If it appears that you are going to charge more than what they are willing to spend, that's when you have to take off your webmaster hat and put on your salesman's hat and justify why they need and want to spend that. That is probably the single hardest thing about breaking into being a webmaster. Figuring out how much to charge for the time and work, and then being able to convince the customer to spend the money for it.

I would have probably quoted $5,500 and negotiated from there. It could be higher depending on the amount of customized graphics.

I think it's great you brought up the question.

For UNFLUX's benefit - OScommerce is open source PHP and uses mySQL db.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

my pricing would follow pretty much what ATNO stated. As
usual, it would all depend on what the client wanted and how
much I was actually doing.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually go around $500-750 for basic installation & configuration of osCommerce, with a payment module & shipping module, and securing of the admin area (.htaccess).

If I have to help them setup an account with USPS/UPS/Airborne to get those shipping modules workable, then that's extra.

"Custom Template" all depends on how drastic changes they need. If it's simply the header & footer, and CSS changes, it wouldn't be a huge amount, maybe looking around $1500-2000 total for the above (not including any walkthroughs I have to go through with them for setting up the shipping/merchant accounts).

If there have to be code mods to edit the output (which it really needs to not look like every other osCommerce store, imho heh) then it depends how drastic the mods are. I vary that between $40-80/hr, depending on what it is.

As for adding the products, I've one client with around 500 products in the inventory at any one time. Now, I've shown him how to update those himself (hourly rate), because it's constantly changing. He sells live reptiles, as well as reptile products (food, substrate, lights, etc.) Those things are static and never change, the animals could change on a daily basis as clutches hatch out, etc.

If they want you to put them in for them, then it depends what kind of layout they want their product pages to be. Are they simply going to be plain text with 1 image uploaded? Or are they going to be nice neatly formatted HTML product ads with several thumbnails, etc?

I'm with ATNO, I probably wouldn't go less than 3 grand (yeah, I said $1500-2000 above, but with all the time it takes to work out problems with the client, talk on the phone, etc. All-in, roughly 3 grand) if they entered the data themselves. If you have to enter the data for them, then it would entirely depend on the format of that data and the style of the products pages. If it's a plain text CSV list with all their values in already, you can just import straight through phpMyAdmin. If you're taking them out of a catalogue and have to add each one manually, well, that can take a little longer. What's your time worth? :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your responces guys!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
Thanks for your responces guys!

So, how much did you "save" the client? *lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

somewhere around 2-3k :oops: plus extras for database insertion.

Ahh well, it funded the bedroom upgrade :-P!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

:-D Yup, just got the last major piece I think, the DVD/VCR combo. Since it doubles as a decent mp3 player, I don't think I'll be buying a cd deck.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I last consulted... $80/hour or $500/day. Quotes were based on my estimated time to complete the work. Any non-technical tasks that were time consuming, such as data entry, were either passed back to the client or sub-contracted. I would made the effort to work efficiently and avoid busting my quote if the client stayed within the agreement and I miscalculated.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts