websites with sound

• jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed a trend lately for quite a few sites with sounds attached to them, especially the home page.

Is this a good idea or just likely to turn visitors away as anoying?

Certain sites it makes some sense to have a sound - http://www.t-l-b.co.uk

What are your thoughts please?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds, like anything and everything with design, can be used
well or not at all. With the right amount, and the right sounds
themselves, it's a great enhancement to a nice design.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you said it makes sense for some sites to have sound.
It wouldn't bother me to be shopping for books and have somthing playing in the background, unlike in the book store at the mall I can always turn the music down if I want. What I'm not looking forward to is when "popup audio ads" start showing up everywhere. :roll:
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't mind sound too much as long as it has a purpose, but I've got two friends (amateurs...) who think that all business web sites need to have a splash page with techno music blasting from the minute you click onto their site.

:?

I definitely don't mind techno, but there's a time and a place. And e-commerce is usually not that place... :x
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you say,

On some sites the sound is great, if its on the topic (theme) of the site. For example if i owned a car site, i might have car racing sounds in the background depending on age etc..

David.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont mind a little bit of sound especially on well made flash sites - but not when its overboard :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've gotten sick of sounds... with working in the reptile industry, I've come across many animal related sites where you load them up and they've got horrible cricket-chirping noises in the background (not so soothing when you've got 30,000 of the lil bugs in your living room), or some really bad MIDI file going off...

If I load up a page, and it has a sound, and I don't see a "stop" button within 3 seconds, I close the window.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No doubt. I don't hate sounds, but I don't like them either. I say go without if possible which is ALWAYS a possibility.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im with Axe though - a sound off button is always a good thing to locate quickly. Dont know how many sites ive been to which have come blaring crap through my speakers at work. bah! :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, I really hate midi...sounds so bad.

I usually always have music playing on my computer so there is always a clash...I just close the page
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually have my speakers turned off when I'm surfing, so I hardly ever even notice it, but when I do I usually start looking for an "off" button after a few seconds. I like the way unflux has it set up with the flash on his website: there's a little indicator pumping away up in the corner, so I know there's music to be heard if I want to turn on the speakers. And if I happen to have the speakers on and don't want to hear it the off button is easily identifiable.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts