what is content management web development?

• akaash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • akaash
  • Loc: Gujurat,India

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is content management web development
this term is used in web site development what is it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

a content management system or content management solution is a set of scripts that allow a non-internet-savvy client to manage the content of their website. A very basic example would be a database-driven website, where the layout of the page is a template and the text in the page is generated from a database. The database could then be edited, via online forms, by the client.

Content management development would be the development of one of these systems.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard about CMS as well. Never seen one though.
would like to have a look

Do you know of any genuine CMS ? linky please
  • Volki
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi madmonk

i have few CMS on my machine actually don't remeber the link where i got them from though :( However if you interested i can provide them to you just PM me.

Also u can find quite a lot of them for free just do a search or go to hotscrips they have variety of choices.

All the best,

Volki
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Loc: Deer Park, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

a quite known cms is phpNuke
i think thats the right url, lol
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just do a google for cms. Postnuke and phpnuke are the most popular free open source ones.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The big names are Interwoven TeamSite (http://www.interwoven.com/) which my organization uses, and I'm well versed in administrating and Vignette (sp?) which used to be really big, but they've lost a lot of market share recently.

Microsoft recently (well, 2 years ago I guess) bought a company call NCompass that provided a uniquely MS-like CMS system. The changed the name to the oh-so-inventive MS CMS (what is UP with Microsoft and naming software... jeeesh) and they're integrating it into their .NET suite. For a pure microsoft shop, it's eventually going to be a pretty damn good tool, though it's still pretty basic right now.

There are others.. the new Macromedia MX suite is pretty close to a CMS as well, what with the templatization capabilitys of Dreamweaver (*puke*). I'm a TextPad purist myself, though, so I don't really know much about that suite, other than Flash.

.c
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Just do a google for cms. Postnuke and phpnuke are the most popular free open source ones.

The newest version of PHPNuke isn't really free exactly. You have to be a paying member to download it. You can get the previous version for free through.

.c
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I code my own CMS into websites but can take allot of time at first and there are so many bugs to take out. However it looks stunning and changes are made in real time... well worth the effort if the content on your site changes allot.

Main advantages:

Text changes (Add, deleted, edit, position on homepages)
Image uploading (compression and resizing if your using an ASP component)
Dynamic changes made to homepages using dates
View private information like stats and competition entries
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
rtm223 wrote:

The newest version of PHPNuke isn't really free exactly. You have to be a paying member to download it. You can get the previous version for free through.

.c

sorry for my mistake, I'm at the beginning of coding my own CMS and haven't really bothered to look at the others lol, I just assumed they were still FOSS
  • emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.designmind.co.uk is my CMS service which took me around 3 months on and off to complete (get's pretty boring at times ;)). But im pleased with it and am now beginning to sell the 'websites' as part of some fundraising. :D
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your Content management system looks really good.

Have you thought about promoting it (Google adwords)?

How about a one of fee of £89 as an option?
  • emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a bit tight for money - since the whole purpose of it is to raise money! if i have a good chance of getting a reasonable amount of money from advertising on AdSense I might have a go at it. I've tried many methods of marketing already so would this be worth the money? what do you get for £89?

thanks for the nice comment BTW :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

emitind. wrote:
what do you get for £89?

Whoops no I ment YOU charge a one of fee of £89 insead of £30 to your clients.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey (pretty new round here, just settling in)

I started investigating PHP-Nuke as I wanted an existing project to help me learn PHP (and how you can link it to MySQL), and I liked it so much I transferred my whole website to it! I plan to write my own theme soon, to personalise it more, but I'm really happy with it at the moment.

Jus' my 2cents worth.

PS, the website is <a href="http://phpnuke.org/">http://phpnuke.org/</a>, not .com that seems to be some kind of warez site?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typo3 is probably the best free CMS around. The the prototypical Open Source movement (technically, the Free Software movement, I guess) CMS tool. It's a PHP system, and has a huge number of really sweet tools and extensions. If you've never worked with ImageMagick before, check it out, it's better than IrfanView for command line image manipulation...

I can't believe I didn't think about it before! =] I must have been on a caffine withdrawl or something.

http://www.typo3.org

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts