What hit counter you use?

• DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want a hit counter (free, of course!) that doesn't actually show up on the page. I know theres a free one out there that tells you everything you could possibly want to know about the traffic on your site, but I forgot the name.

What do you all use?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm so glad you asked that question! No, really! In most cases, my clients use a stats tool provided by our web host, but I have one client using a free counter from hitboxcentral.com.

In fact, I was going to recommend them to you, but when I went to the site I discovered they no longer offer the free counter, and the existing one will go away soon. I need to get that fixed.

I'm sorry, I haven't used free counters in so long, I'm not sure who else to recommend. But much thanks for allowing me to discover this.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use my own, it doesn't collect stats though...
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used countless free counters over the past 4 years, and none
come close to this one:

http://das.reinvigorate.net/

I use it currently, and it's absolutely amazing. I use my server stats as
well, but I like to be able to cross reference.
  • DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that place is incredible Unflux! Thanks for sharing it with me, my search is over.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was hoping you'd say that. it's great eh? ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://das.reinvigorate.net/ is the best I have seen. I collate my monthly website usage figures from that, it cut and pastes perfectly into Excel with little editing :D
  • anubi
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Milan - Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently tried PHP Counter from ekstreme.com, it's very useful!

http://www.ekstreme.com/phplabs/phpcounter.php

If you have a hosting site with PHP + MySQL support I think the best is AWStats... It's very powerful of features! :P

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

8)
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.statcounter.com is good, I use them before I was hosted. AWStats is much better now I have it though.
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

And if you can find some way to get the raw access logs you can set it up to work at home on your PC using perl and apache server.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also use das.reinvigorate.net for my stats.

I haven't found anything better. Aside from EXCELLENT tracking services, they also don't make you put an image on your site that advertises them. One of the things I hated about other free tracking services is that they all require you to put up a banner or image of some sort and they use that to records your stats, but they are always so ugly and tacky. With reinvigorate, all you do is add a 1px transparent .gif image, so it's invisible yet still accurately keeps track.

You can't beat it, these people are amazing.

HOWEVER: Reinvigorate is always being worked on, adding new things, fixing other things to make it less server load intensive, so occasionally a portion of the service will go down (for example a while ago their referrer tracking was down for quite a bit while it was recoded, but everything else still worked fine). Small price to pay for such a great service IMO, especially since when it goes down they are trying to make it better.
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

StatCounter is pretty much the same as that
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

StatCounter sounds pretty nice.

But i'm a hardcore reinvigorate fan :D
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wouldn't use either of them now though. AWStats is the best and nobody can argue.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure people can argue, those with personal opinions.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anybody know offhand whether you can place the reinvigorate code on all your pages? They seem to imply that it can only go on the "main" page.
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah but if you have used AWStats then you can't argue because you would realise that it is the best but lets not get into this really. People can argue but they won't win. :twisted:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow cardesign, that argument is definitely sound. Everyone MUST love AWStats or they are wrong!

Uh oh, cleanup in aisle 15, I am dripping with sarcasm

RichB: Yeah, reinvigorate only has one counter (thus far at least), but to be honest, I haven't really found any free stat counter sites that offer an unlimited amount of stat counters for all your pages (if it exists they are some mighty generous people).
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

just jkn. Check out http://www.awstats.org though
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use a free script. However, I am now useing reinvigorate. I have been looking for a new one for a while. See why at the address below:

(I still have that up, though, for no other reason than the search engine keyword thing. It's really handy to have that information.

//edit: i took the page down
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

clearly you haven't used http://das.reinvigorate.net/
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for reanimating an old topic (blame rjstephens!), but why are you all so in favour of http://das.reinvigorate.net/? not wanting to flame/troll, but if I've got AWStats up and working, what can reinvigorate offer?
(the site itself isn't that helpful to be honest)
  • lilcutie009
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer.. http://www.bravenet.com .. it has lots of things to use. ANything a webmaster could probably want... counters, gbooks, chatrooms, blogs... I could go on but I might be here all night.

he he

xxx
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, here is the thing. I have been framed. There used to be a post between the two of mine, and now it is deleted. I'm not sure who deleted it but it used to be there.

It was from a guy who was selling his ad-supported hit counters that I briefly looked at, and didn't look very good.

The reason a lot of people (myself included) like das is because it is fast, reliable, and they don't put any ads on your pages
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
The reason a lot of people (myself included) like das is because it is fast, reliable, and they don't put any ads on your pages

they don't even put a counter on your page (unless you are worried about a 1x1 transparent thing)
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:
rjstephens wrote:

they don't even put a counter on your page (unless you are worried about a 1x1 transparent thing)

yeah, but that's nothing novel really is it? especially seeing as awstats runs as software either on your own machine on or your hosting server.
I wondered if it had any other functionality.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

have a look at the data provided by das - it is very comprehensive and it has quite a few features that AWstats does not. However, AWStats is still a very powerful stats program, and I use it too (I get it through my control panel)

But if you have a site on a free web server, you simply can't beat das.
  • VentsyV
  • Student
  • Student
  • VentsyV

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about: http://extremetracking.com
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have cpanel, you can see detailed stats on your site's hits. Tey going to yoursite.com/cpanel. If that exists, great! If not, you'll have to install a script yourself. :lol:
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

cardesign wrote:
Wouldn't use either of them now though. AWStats is the best and nobody can argue.

Does AWStats work on Windows and IIS?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts