What now?

• mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey!
Im new to this board and pretty new to webdesign.
I am 15 and have learnt a html, well a good bit of it i think, and am wondering what I should go on to learn now, I know that there are loads of languages out there, so what should I try to pick up now, and also where can I get the info from?
Thanx
Rik
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS <- Cascading Style Sheets
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
PHP <- Hypertext Pre-Processing
http://www.php.net (Just Google PHP for good tutorials)

CSS is basically for designing better, smoother, more efficient websites. PHP is a dynamic server-side language that was written for web applications. I'd suggest both in the long run (or ASP, or .NET, but just learn SOMETHING) :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

mtracerz wrote:
I am 15 and have learnt a html, well a good bit of it i think, and am wondering what I should go on to learn now, I know that there are loads of languages out there, so what should I try to pick up now, and also where can I get the info from?
Thanx
Rik

Javascript is easy to pickup, will allow you to keep learning HTML at the same time, & won't require you (or your parrents :P ) to spend a ton of money on an application to use it.

I'd say CSS, but you seem like you're getting board with laying things out & want to make them do somthing, hmmm... You might consider putting Macromadia Flash on your christmas list :)
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totaaly overlooked Flash :oops:
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

When it comes to Web design, HTML and CSS are the important ones, though some psychos deal with Javascript and Flash.

You're only 15, so there's no way to know what you will be interested in later on. I would not recommend limiting yourself to Web-related languages. However, if you are interested in Web authoring, I would have to suggest CSS, and more importantly, information on Human-Computer Interaction.

However, I recommend learning some programming language.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm 16 and PHP combined with SQL does wonders for me. Personally I'm not a big fan of Java type sites, nor Flash. But they too have their purposes. :wink:
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well first, all of these suggestions, can you pick up free tutorials on the net about these?
Second, what does Macromedia Flash do? Would this benefit me?
Thanx for all of your quick replys aswell :wink:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mtracerz, take a look at some of the sites in this topic http://www.ozzu.com/flash-forum/which-the-best-flash-site-ever-t371.html

As Sam mentions, alot of the people working with Flash are a little on the insane side :lol:
If you're looking to create highly interactive sites, Flash is a great thing to get into.
At around $500 US for FlashMX2004(there are student versions out there, I'm sure you can pickup an earlier version for much less as well) it's not a cheap thing to get into though :wink:
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

well your insane comment confirms it for me then! I have had a look at some of the sites created with flash, they are really impressive! One stood out more than the rest aswell, cant remember its name tho.
I would be prepared to get the software for it, but how difficult is flash to learn, is it a lot more difficult than trying to pick up html?
And where can I learn it???
Thanx
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu has a Flash & Actionscript section, there are quite a few tutorial links throughout that section.
Kirupa Has some well known tutorials.
Actionscript.org has some good resources as well.
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I shall have a look at these then, is it hard to pick up?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a little intimidating at first, unless you're the next Einstien it's going to take awhile to learn. (the authors of the sites in that topic I directed you to have been working with Flash & the web for years.)
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, yeah could of guessed that, there sites look compicated enough.
Wll Il go try some of those tutorials now then,
thanx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts