• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok
i have been thinking a lot lately.
right
I thought about my site, and I think it is too dark, and bland.
what sort of site do you people prefer to see?
White, or black
Dark or light?

simply put
I have my main splash page
here
and I am thinking about replacing it with this
right, If people like the new one, then I will be redesigning the site, based on it...
what do you think?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I like your existing one much better. I've heard it argued that a white or lighter background is more favorable. And in most respects, I'm inclined to agree. However, your designs are centered aroung graphics -- i.e. more of an artistic thing. I couldn't give an estimated guess of a percentage, but I think that I can safely say that most "creative" sites I recall seing, tend to be of a "darker" nature. I'd enjoy seeing more of what you'd do with a white background, but I'm certain at first look that I like your original better than this new one.

//Added note to mods who may be inclined to move this to reviews. I left this here because the question is more of a design question than a reviews one.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
I thought about my site, and I think it is too dark, and bland.

The new one is probably blander lol.

Both are very nice. Dark, light, colourful all have their merits and I think the question you have to ask is whether it is right for the content etc.

For your site, for showcasing the graphics you produce, I would stick to dark. This is because it offsets the colourful nature of the content, which is often bright and shiny etc. I think white would detract from the impact of your work.

BTW I do like the new stuff you have been doing, it seems more refined and its always nice to see variaty.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks
I dont know lol
i keep getting mixed responces
so far it is
1 to white
4 people prefer it the way it is

i need to re-design the site
because i want it to stretch full screen
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:

i need to re-design the site
because i want it to stretch full screen

Now that I would also agree with. However, at the moment, I'm not sure you have enough content to do that without making it too "spacious".

Suggestion. Why don't you try a splash page that has a white background, but use a graphic and text with color. That might do the trick and give you the best of both worlds. I think it's the grey that you are using now that in the words of rtm223 make it "bland". Your graphics are too good to have a splash page that plain. That one just doesn't jump out at you like your other stuff does.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the input guys

and as for content...
no worries about that ;)

i am reeling off like a new wallpaper everyday lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem that I can foresee with your fullsize though (at least on the splash page) -- your graphic is going to have a physical dimension). If you make it so it fits on 800x600 width-wise, it will still look small at higher res.

Personally I think the internet is ready to ignore 800x600. I seem to remember reading something UNFLUX wrote several months back that suggested 75% of internet users view at 1024x768. I'd start with that as a basis point and go from there. I don't intend to give too much thought anymore to 800x600 myself.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm
about the splash page...
no worries there
i wont be making that stretch to full size, it will be like a small graphic and introductory page.
the actual site, beyond that will be bigger,
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gotcha
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about something like this
http://www.inucleo.co.uk/v5/index2.html
with a little more colour in it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

404'd on me.

//never mind...I see it...you have a comma after www in your link.
I'll fix that for ya
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i submitted it
then checked the link
then edited the post lol
u got in there before me lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- I see that.

Actually, I like that graphic better than the first, but still plain jane to me.

Humour me.

I love your Liquid Gold graphic.

Do a white background and do something to get your liquid gold thought in there. That's more on the lines of what I was thinking. I saw the added tints, but I'm currently looking at 1280x1024 and there is just so much white space. I guess my problem is I've seen what you do with graphics, and that is just not spelling out your capability to me.

That's why I like your current. That splash page does show what you can do!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added note for Nucleo and others reading. I think you've hit on a real dilemna designers have. Me for example, I understand the code, pretty much backwwards and forwards when it comes to HTML and XHTML. But I haven't had the practice to be creative enough to do such quality work with graphics as you can do. And that's the bugger if you're trying to do a great design job on your own.

I guess that's why design companies exist....to add multiple specialties to create a great work. But then the public comes into play so who knows what their opinion is going to be?

Keep in mind, that all the above is my opinion. In the end, I still think that rtm223 gave one of the best thoughts so far:

Quote:
Dark, light, colourful all have their merits and I think the question you have to ask is whether it is right for the content etc.

So don't base the premise of your site on my opinion. I'm just trying to give you food for thought based on my view of the world.

I'm sure as others read, you'll get more diverse opinions. But in the end. It's your site. Go with what you like best and what you believe will achieve your goal.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends on what look your going for if you ask me. Check out these sites for example:

<a href="http://www.threedaysgrace.com">Dark Scheme 1</a>
<a href="http://www.thursday.net">Dark Scheme 2</a>
<a href="http://www.digitalart.com">Light Scheme 1</a>
<a href="http://www.robdougan.com">Light Scheme 2</a>

2 totally different looks and they all look great and are graphic intensive.

Really it depends on the person. ATNO likes the old one....I like the new shiny reflective one on the light BG.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like both pages, as alwyas u do exceptional work Nucleo (btw tell me what prog u used for that creation :D ) I think since your site is mostly graphic intensive stick to the darker colors, however when you expand the page it will only make it that much darker, so maybe you could lightne it up a bit then, i tend to keep larger pages lighter and smaller pages darker, but thats just me. I like your site now and Im sure whatever else you creat will be just a s good 8)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will try a lighter layout
see how it looks and post it for review ;)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i finished the lighter layout, i prefer it to the darker one..

thanks alot guys!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts