What is web 2.0

• joseph james
  • Born
  • Born
  • joseph james

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I came across a new term, Web 2.0. I checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2 It was too complicated form me. Does anybody know of an article which more simple about web 2.0?

Thanks in advance
  • Search Marketing Man
  • Search Marketing Man
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly ... eb-20.html
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure this is going to turn into a pretty volatile thread. There are a lot of people who throw around web 2.0 as simply another buzz word.

When the term "web 2.0" was coined several years ago it referred to the assumption that the internet would go from an information sharing (web 1.0) enormous online encyclopedia to an information extending/using (web 2.0) medium. Essentially the thought was that most of the web would become a system that took in information and allowed the user to do something with said information. Kind of like saying we would transition from websites to web apps.

A great example of web 2.0 is Google Maps. Google allows you as a user to view existing map and image data and then plot a course, highlight a location, give directions and so on. You can even extend the possibilities of Google Maps through API's that allow even more creative use of the information.

Unfortunately the many ignorant buzzword slingers of the world have wrongly assumed that web 2.0 is all about the visual style of a site. True web 2.0 has absolutely nothing to do with reflections, large bright colored type, round corners, etc. However, most of the population has never bothered to learn the real meaning of the term and is instead referring to the visual style (appearance) of something when they call it web 2.0.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

very cool graphixboy!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that was a great post.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty good explanation graphixboy, but here we are talking about web 2.0 on the verge of web 3.0 . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_3 , but I really think you hit the nail on the head when you said it wasn't just visual elements. I often, jokingly, tell people they need a little more web 2.0 in their designs. What I really mean, is your site looks like its from 20 BW2.0 ( or 20 years before web 2.0 ) LOL.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha I'm skipping web 3 and going directly to web 4 :-)

But really I think stuff like Second Life might be the direction everything is going. Its not exactly a new idea. William Gibson's early 90's book "Count Zero" talks about a net kind of like that, but in all reality I think we're going to see HTML, JS and Flash all disappear in favor of a much more immersive technology.

Maybe I'm wrong but my gut says that in a few years the web won't be something you use, but a place where you live, work and play. At that point those of us who practice visual design will be more like movie makers who can emulate any era or version of reality they deem fit.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the time we hit Web 6.0, we'll be seeing entire pages reflected and Google will do your laundry.
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: St. Louis MO. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this a late post on the topic just started browsing this forum again. I also got confused on the term web 2.0 hearing it slang around even at one point thought it was a whole different set of servers we access.

Still unclear about what exactly it is and how its going to effect people in the web design and development field. But recently I saw a show on the discovery channel about the web. and it was talking about web 2.0 so tell me if this is correct.

What I got from the show and what they were saying it was web 2.0 was like websites like myspace,youtube,facebook. Meaning sites that are 2 way communication not only we can go and get information but add our own content to the site.

is that a correct inturperatation of what web 2.0 is all about or that just one aspect of it?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say your on the right track. The goal is that the sites are allowing information sharing, communication, modification, etc instead of simply being a library of content
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
By the time we hit Web 6.0, we'll be seeing entire pages reflected and Google will do your laundry.

LOL we won't need mirrors :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts